22 Jamming

What type of ammo are you using? Have sometimes heard of different brands not cycling as well as others, not sure why it would matter but could be worth a try. Just a thought....

[ Post made via iPod ] iPod.png

If its misfeed Use an ammo that you've used before. Most .22lr ammo is soft nose and easily damaged while feeding. Try one you had luck with before and stick to it. My 10/22 wont feed xpert they are too flat and soft every 3-4 shots it will misfeed. If its failure to eject then the extractor may be worn.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I had one of those with a bull barrel. It was one of my best shooting 22s I have owned but after a while I had issues with it misfiring. Especially in the cold, but one thing I could remember about that gun is it always jammed. ;( What worked best for me was CCI Segmental or Stinger ammo. It used to be quik shot. This ammo is much hotter then its compeditors. More $ though. One thing I found that helped was cleaning it. Oil it up then wipe all the oil off as best you can. A little lead bid up is not neccesary a bad thing either. Inspection of the internal parts as well for wear but I just think these 22's are not as reliable as they should be. I'm trying not to be negative about Savage rimfires and I would suggest taking it to a good gunsmith but honestly I don't think they are worth the money nor the headache.

I have since bought a ruger 10/22 and put tens of thousands of rounds through it of all sorts of different ammo and I can only think of having 1 jam since I have owned it. I still get the occasional misfire but thats just cheap ammo. I have known several people now that have had a 10/22 now for 30 + years with the same results. I have heard the 10/22 jamming a lot with certain high capacity mags but I only use the standard 10rd mags. Good Luck

you hit the nail on the head with the 10/22... It just works all the time.. I have had mine for almost 10 years (..got it on clearence at walmart for about $140 for stainless steel model)... I have never had a jam or misfire (knock on wood) and I can count on 1 hand the number of times I have cleaned it.. I oil it on a regular basis.

Thanks T Barb and rshubuck. I thought about a 10-22 when i bought the savage but with the luck my dad and iv had with the rifles i thought the 22 would be the sam but im disiponted with it. I had a Remington and it did the same thing. I am thinking about getting a 10-22. Pete squirrels are starting to come around the house but i cant get them with out a 22. My Beretta messes up the tail to much. Also I Hear the school frounds upon guns in school now.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

• 3 weeks later...