Lake Currents

As a relative beginner to Lake Ontario and only having two years of experience out of Olcott and a few weeks at Wilson, I have a question about fish locations. The past two years at Olcott I have noticed there were very distinct areas that held fish while others were barren. These areas could be somewhat large and might have consisted of up to a couple square miles each, but seemed to be where the fish could routinely be found. Surrounding areas likely held nothing and resulted in very few bites as I trolled between "hotspots". I'm now seeing the same thing developing in my short time at Wilson.

Recognizing that there is little observable bottom structure that could be attracting fish I was wondering if the whole thing comes down to normal lake currents and sub-currents, eddys and current breaks that set up in the lake. I realize that bait fish and temps are important attractants also, but I'm wondering if they are there for the same reasons (currents). Does that also explain why a major blow disrupts fishing? Are the "steady state" currents susceptible to wave action that disrupts them until the lake calms and fishing patterns (and fish) return.

Just trying to make sense of why I'm finding fish at the same general locations trip after trip and year after year. Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Doug

The general current on the southern shore is from west to east. However Big-O is know as a "two-gere" lake. i.e two currents. The west to east current on the northern shore doubles back then goes east again.

However, regarding your question, there are many factors contributing to the jumbled mess of currents we see. Yes, winds do affect local currents that we fishermen experience. Upwellings due to temp changes also affect local currents. You'll sometimes find a current mid-way in the water column going in a different direction than the current in the lower section of the water column.

If I were you, I'd study the bathymetric map of your area. I think you'll find some subtle structure that your sonar isn't picking up.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Out of Olcott/Wilson down to about 30 Mile Point you have the main current coming out of the Niagara River that flows west to east. On the inside of that there is a back eddy where the current reverses direction and comes back east to west. That current can be pretty severe at times. Yes there are certain areas that consistently hold fish. There are some subtle structure elements out there that don't really show up on the graph but are sufficient to attract bait and fish.

For years now, we have made it a habit of marking a waypoint on the garmin for every bite and I let them collect over the course of a season. I don't delete them till the start of the next season and every year when I go to delete last years marks, I have waypoints piled on top of waypoints on top of waypoints in the same spots, year after year.

Tim

Doug we're here in Wilson all week stop by and say hi! I always wonder with topics like this ... are we sure it's not that we mark an area where we catch fish, then fish it MORE because we marked it, then mark it again ... kinda like that favorite lure that you fish 5hrs a day that you think catches more fish than the lure you only fish 1hr a day?

Nick

If I were you, I'd study the bathymetric map of your area. I think you'll find some subtle structure that your sonar isn't picking up.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Tom,

I have looked at the bathymetric map in the past, but after reviewing it again, I think there may be some correlation between bottom structure and areas holding fish. Definitely worth further review.

I don't delete them till the start of the next season and every year when I go to delete last years marks, I have waypoints piled on top of waypoints on top of waypoints in the same spots, year after year.

Tim

Tim,

Exactly! When I'm done at the end of the season, it looks like I sprinkled pepper in a few areas on the chart.

Doug we're here in Wilson all week stop by and say hi! I always wonder with topics like this ... are we sure it's not that we mark an area where we catch fish, then fish it MORE because we marked it, then mark it again ... kinda like that favorite lure that you fish 5hrs a day that you think catches more fish than the lure you only fish 1hr a day?

Nick

Nick,

I'll stop by this weekend. I think there has to be more to it than coincidence and self-reinforcing behavior. It's like running the 42 second spoons the last three weeks. With 9 lures in the water and that spoon taking much more than it's share of fish, there has to be something there. Have a great week!

Doug