Seneca Lake Dipsy Diver questions.

I am running two Dipsy Diver #1's off my 16 foot boat. One port one starboard. Someone told me I could not run my sutton flutter spoons behind them because they would rise!?!? Is there any truth to this? I do happen to have a few heavy 71 sutton spoons, would these be a better bet? Also I have been running them on setting 3 to get them as far from the boat as possible as to not spook the fish. Am I doing the right thing? Could someone tell me the best depths to fish for rainbows, browns, landlocks and lakers in Seneca right now? I have been fishing in about 60/100 feet for lakers and about 30/100 feet for the rest with no success. Should I move out deeper or go shallower. Any response will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Flutter spoons won't change your dipsy's depth. The only problem I have had with some flutter spoons is they don't do well at the fast speeds I like to run. Since you are running #1s on a 3, I would put a 12 to 14 ft leader of 12lb or 15lb floro on each diver. Then run a standard size Stinger in Orange NBK out 120 on the other diver run a DW SS in lepard frog or green gator out 150. This will take your Browns, Bows, and Salmon all summer. I was out today the T-Cline is seting up at 50 to 60ft. Also spend some more time over 120 to 230 fow running 2.3 to 2.5 gps speed, down speed 2.2 to 2.5. Good luck and let us know how you make out :yes: Sean

If you are fishing by yourself I would recommend leaders around 8', or the length of your rod. That's what I run and netting fish can still be a bit awkward at times, longer leaders solo would be tough.

Alec

Thanks guys...Hey Sean, I could not find the stinger nbk in orange...found other colors...I will definately try your suggestions. Excuse the ignorance but what does DW SS stand for...Thank You...Any other opinions are greatly appreciated. The settings on the Dipsy's could change...I am up for lots of ideas...

Listen to Sean and Hermit. They both have said everything that I would say. Another great spoon is the DW SS Bloodydeath. This is a purple ladderback spoon. PRODUCES!! I too use the orange spoons as well. Can't go wrong. Don't be afraid to run a Michigan Stinger Copper Mass Confusion, Bright or Gloomy Day...

Nick

So you will be running a dipsey and a leadcore off the kayak? Hard to know what to say without more info. It might pull a bit to the side with the dipsey especially if it's set to run out to the side. Two could balance you out. Or troll in a big circle. :D

On the core rod you can run spoons or sticks. Figure roughly 5' for every color. A deep diving crank is an easy way to add an extra 10-15' of depth to either the dipsey or core, though switching between a stick and spoon on the dipsey you might have to adjust the release screw. A black/silver crank is usually a good starter. Spoons- Stingers or other favorite brand in Dirty White Boy or Kevorkian, are two more in addition to the good advice above. Also take a look at some reports for more spoon recs. Billy V writes up a very detailed report.

Alec

Thanks Hermit. I will be running a dipsy set up as well as a lead core. Lauching out of Starkey Point. As much as I hate running 2 lines, pulling to one side is an issue. Hopefully, weather will cooperate and I can post some pics.

flyak, I did the kayak thing last winter . If you have a peddle yak like Nick saw you will be in good shape. I ran two leadcores one down the chute the other on a inline planer. Fishing with the wind was no problem but going into wind was tough. If you stop paddling to rig something you were dead in the water and lines were heading to the bottom . I ended up running one line into the wind and two with the wind. My yak is a two man so if we had another person in the boat that day it would have been much easier. Nice stealthy way to catch fish. Before I got my big boat I spent many hours fishing from the yak. I've heard guys say the fish for salmon with them. I've never done that but I can tell you a 25lb carp can tow you at a pretty good speed! Wes

Lake Bound, Wasn't me but I probably have a similar setup. I've have lauched out of Watkins though. My friend Jude fishes Ontario alot. Caught an 18 lb. atlantic last year. I usually fish the salt more. But plan on doing more sweetwater this year. Getting towed by a big fish is a rush.

My yak has a rudder which should help me with pulling to one side. And a gps and fishfinder to hopefully find catch some fish this weekend. Yoou guys are great with the info and help. :yes:

Thanks, Fred

Ill be out on channel 68! SOuth end of Seneca. I am getting a kayak next month. Girlfriend wanted some! Looks like I will be trying the kayaking for salmon this fall and steelies this winter out of the YAK!!! Can not wait!!

Rigged my kayak for an early morning lauch the night before. Sat at 5 am, put on breaTHables, and drytop and head out on Seneca. Slight drizzzle but water was flat. Paddle north to my usual spots and drop my leadcore with a deep diving minnow, Nada. not marking any fish. Paddle some more and add a second rod with a dipsy flasher and fly. Rain picking up a little. Decide to paddle South of Starkey Point and start marking fish in 125-150 with fish down @ 10 feet. Still nothing. Rain starts to pick up and I can see some Sheet coming in fro the South. Rollers Start coming with the rain so I decide to Switch tactics and pull in the Dipsy and leadcore and just go with a deep diver in the shallower water, @ 30 ft and see if maybe I could pick up a pike or something else. As soon as I head to shallower water, I start marking bait balss abd fish. Big fish. While paddling Back North, rod goes off and line too. I turn the yak with the rudder and let the fish tow me while realing in. I get the fish close to the Boat and still think it was maybe a very big pike until I see it. Big brown. Fish make a number of runs and under the baot but I just swing the rod and let the drag of pulling the yak do the work. After a few attemps to net the fish and some more runs, I net the big brown. If you have never caught big fish out of a kayak, you don't know what you are missing. Being that low to the water and he fish are magical. Thanks to you guys who suggested ussing the deep diver and for some color suggestions. Hope to get out this weekend.

Fred

My friend Jude(Flyboy) outdid me on Ontario. He caught a 20.5 king and a 10 coho out of his kayak using a dipsy, flasher and home made Bunny fly. :)

Fishing_j_bay_and_seneca_069.jpg

Fishing_j_bay_and_seneca_070.jpg

Fishing_j_bay_and_seneca_071.jpg