Wire Dipsy's on Seneca...

I have not found a WIRE Dipsy chart yet. Without ordering the book "Precision trolling" can someone guide me on some good numbers to go by for my #1 and Magnum size Dipsy's please. I am looking for landlocks rainbows and browns on the #1 and Lakers on the Magnum. Thank You...Lost on Seneca!?!

We run a 4 dipsy setup. It depends on what you run behind the dipsy as far as drag. more drag = less depth. Our normal setup is Mag dipsy with mag ring on #1 setting is our inside and deep rod. It varies with speed and lures but 185' out will get you around 80 to 90 feet. Our outside dipsy is a number 1 also with mag ring on # 3 setting. To fish with spoons for silver fish in upper water column 100' to 150' should do the trick. Many complain that they can not get deep enough but when you ask them they are not running the rings. Standard ring gets 20% deeper than no ring and mag ring gets you 30% more. If we are fishing lakers on both dipsys we will run The #1 with mag ring out 250' to as far as 400' You have to play around with it and smacking the bottom will tell you how deep you are getting. We hit bottom in 130' with our mag dipsy with 250' of wire out. Run one side of the boat shorter than the other and see which one fires then you can adjust the other side going even farther out to see if that is better yet. Many things change depths you can reach such as water density, currents, lure drag. speed. The charts are only good for guideline. Change things up untill you start caching fish. Wes

Thank you Wes, so let me get this straight. You can put a mag ring on a size # 1 Dipsy? I have been running a Spin Doctor and a Big Weenie Seneca ghost on the Mag and DW SS spoons on the #1 for the silver fish. Thanks guys...

Sorry to be a bother but one more question, how important is it to have your rod holders horizontal as apposed to vertical and does this affect only hook ups or can it affect depth as well? Thanks for your time, Andy

That will change depth very little . We do it to get the lines clear of the rigger rods on a hard turn. If the rod were up they could catch on a rod guide of the rigger rod and pull it out of the rod holder. and yes you can put a mag ring in a 1 dipsy. This is not a must but we do it so the two dipsy's are farther apart. You can still get tangles when you get into weeds even with this setup.

That should not matter. The rod load and drag would be the same either way. We run a 8' rod on inside and 10' on the outside. This last weekend we got into some smaller 3 to 4 pound fish and they were short striking. So we would leave the rod in the rod holder untill they were hooked up solid. I think the weight of bigger fish helps with hookup. A small fish can get dragged along with little pressure on the hook.

Andy, I will be honest, I think there is a better hookup ratio with the rods horizontal. IMO. I fished with a guy on his whaler once, he ran his vertical. His hookup ratio was poor. He eventually laid them down and began taking more fish off his dipsys. Plus I think this helps maximize your spread and have more control over your gear. Also, opens up the back of the boat.

Nick

I have not found a WIRE Dipsy chart yet. Without ordering the book "Precision trolling" can someone guide me on some good numbers to go by for my #1 and Magnum size Dipsy's please. I am looking for landlocks rainbows and browns on the #1 and Lakers on the Magnum. Thank You...Lost on Seneca!?!

What I have read, "Precision Trolling" dive charts are off (I was going to order it before I found "LOU") .......Here's the info that I was given here & is working for me, magnum Dipsey Diver w/ the Monster rings (come as a unit @ Hills Valleys & Streams) set @ #2 setting is APPROX. a 3 to 1 ratio, in other words if your marking fish @ 50' your divers on WIRE is back 150', but like Wes has said :yes: play around with them, see what works for you & the fish, but 3-1 will get you in the ball park..............the new "info" I was given is "paint them black", so if you will excuse me I have another side that needs painting ;):beer:

Best advise I can give is to spool up a reel with as much steel line as possible. I also just saw some really sweet trolling rods at Bass Pro with Stainless Steel Eyelets same style as what you would use for a copper rod/reel. They were only $24.00 each. 3 to 1 is a good rule of thumb...for the most part. Also, if using steel line, I would get away from the Magnums and use standard sized divers. They are a hell of a lot easier to reel in and will still give you that 3 -1 rate. I have used and still have my Magnum sized divers but I haven't run them in about 2 seasons. I can easily get to 100 feet down with my wire setup running a flasher fly with standard diver out 300 feet. I know because when I get into about 98 FOW they start hitting bottom.

Hope this helps......too

http://www.attheoak.com/tips.html

How Deep Is Your Diver?...This is to answer a few inquiries concerning diver talk...how deep is your lure running with a certain amount of line out? First, it's always wire, #2 setting, unless we state otherwise (mono or braid). Mono is sometimes used when the kings and steelies are hanging high (20' to 50' or so down)...then it's a #3 setting. It's a #2 setting 95% of the time with wire divers. Here's a fairly good rule of thumb...wire out 120' puts the lure down 45' to 50' or so, wire out 220' puts lure close to 75' to 85' down. In other words, it's not a 2 to 1 ratio, but is 10% to 20% less than 2 to 1. Sounds simple and written in stone?...not really, but the above could be helpful. Someday experiment...diver (usually Luhr Jensen Dipsey Diver), wire, #2 set, out 150', 2.4 to 2.6 speed, no hooks on lure. Troll almost parallel to shore, go closer and closer...when the lure starts to tap bottom, check your depth. Do this on various settings...then you'll really know. Remember, there are many variables such as ring on or ring off, currents, wire diameter, flasher/fly or spoon (spoons run deeper, less drag) and of course speed. The figures we mentioned are only estimates (from our experience). BTW, we used 20# wire (carefully). We hope this helps a few new anglers. Time and experience will give you the best answer to this enigma.

Can't take credit for this post.....see "ray koziatek" viewtopic.php?f=16&t=32475 6/4/12

nice read...i too have caught nothing on my dipsys in seneca in two years trying.....lack of confidence+lack of dipsytricks= no hookups.....this should help.... :beer:

pssssssst........go to Keuka, it's a GREAT confidence builder with/for Dipseys 8)