How can you know for sure what depth the Dipsy is running at

Using Dipsy's or Walkers how can you be sure where they run. Charts give depths using mono. I run Power Pro 25# on large Walkers for walleye set at 3. One day I hit bottom 210' back @ 74'. That's nice to know but not very practical. Any hints?

Dennis

you are talking a matter of feet the ratio says 3 to 1 ish so 210 over 74 is almost bottom...... how do you know fish finder isnt a few feet off? could be a hump on bottom 2 3 feet higher? there is no exact science

OK. Thanks for this idea. I know that there would be no exact way to measure. But I see your idea of 3 to 1. So 150' back would be 50' down, 90' back would be 30' down and so on. Thanks for that!

Dennis

you are talking a matter of feet the ratio says 3 to 1 ish so 210 over 74 is almost bottom...... how do you know fish finder isnt a few feet off? could be a hump on bottom 2 3 feet higher? there is no exact science

OK. Thanks for this idea. I know that there would be no exact way to measure. But I see your idea of 3 to 1. So 150' back would be 50' down, 90' back would be 30' down and so on. Thanks for that!

Dennis

that kind of a rule of thumb..... it all depends on what setting you have them on and what you have pulling them and so on

That's how I do it. The impractical way :lol:....make your own chart using what you use and do it on a slow day of fishing. 30 lb wire will hit bottom 79 feet 200 out 2.5 setting. I find an area of the bottom that is relatively even and troll at the speed I want at an angle towards shore. When the dipsy gets zebra rash, that is what I record on the depth sounder. Etc. Etc. Different lengths out.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

. I agree with big dave.....the fishhawk is sweet and is spot on...I was surprised to see what my divers were running at....I've changed my reels and wire in hopes that I will achieve greater depths with less line out....really helpful when the current is raging and your divers are not taking hits...