Jax report at the Oak 6/23-6/24

Saturday 6/23

Going into the weekends trips I had a some idea of the water I wanted to fish by last weeks results and other reports. Saturday morning we left the dock around 615 and headed out of the pier heads East towards the ladders to find 4-5 ft waves out of the NW and set up in 100 fow. There was a lot of bait in there but no marks! We fished for awhile in that water finding warmer water down then on previous days. Worked out to 120-140 fow and took a few short fish and a rip on a diver that was off after a brief fight. Finally got sick of the rockin and rolling and turned into em and worked out to 180-210 fow and started putting a program together after a slow start.

Our Traxtech downriggers earned their money working in the waves all day pulling spoons and sliders and 1 run deep pulling a meat rig and spinnys all day hoping for a big guy. The high rigger 65 with a 42 second Stinger Mag would take steelhead after steelhead with the slider copper confusion, gator UV and a Knockout Ugly fish taking a their share also. The divers at 240-300 were second up for MVP taking the bigger fish of the day one of which we thought was the derby winner. A Gator SD pulling a Atommik Hypnotist at 240 got SLAMMED and burned off to 900 ft of wire out in seconds!! The guy on the rod had a look of amazement on his face and in my head thought we had a derby top 5 going. After clearing out a couple rods and slowing the boat down the fish got closer and closer. It came up being the boat about 25 minutes later hooked in the Top of the Head!!! :@:@ Fish got boated and hit the scaled around 24.5 lbs with about half a pound of flesh missing from where the hook was lodged! The guys were still super excited and couldnt believe the power of these Lake O Kings!! All in all a great day on the water we boated 20 or so and lost another 7 or 8. Our best water was the little flats to the chrome domes in 180-210 fow.

Wrenching on our Big guy!

IMG_1848.jpg

The hole where the treble was is on the other side

IMG_1852.jpg

Sunday 6/24

As we left the pier heads around 6am to calmer seas then the previous day I had to check that inside water one more time. We set up in 90 heading on a NE and within miniutes we were hooked up!!! We took 5 shots in the first 30 minutes boating 3 of the 5 including 2 - 20 ish kings and a short king. Divers at 270 and 240 pulling Captain Valium SD w/Atommik Ultra Green Glow fly, and Hammer time SD and Hypnotist fly took 4 of the 5 shots. We trolled a bit further taking a couple lakers and turned out to make a turn back on our waypoints. Finding a blank screen out a touch deeper we turned back on our inside water and worked that all the way down to Devils Nose taking fish the whole way down. A Mix of kings of all year classes, Steelhead and some Lakers would make up today's catch.

On a hard turn back west we got into 95 fow and our deep rigger went off with a good one on a 42 second SD w/42 second Atommik Fly, after a brief fight it hit the scales around 27 lbs and was allready olive in color and would find skein the size of Brown trout roe inside her. Its not even July yet!! The fish came out of 50 degree water off the bottem. Shortly after we would get another good shot on our 270 diver ripping out line --Ole faithful dalmation w/shredded Atommik Hammer would go for a ride! Thinking it was another king we would be surprised to see a beautiful Steelhead at the back of the boat!! It hit the scales at 12.5 lbs!!! No DERBY TICKETS on board!! The guys will be back for the summer derby and WILL be in the derby! :yes::yes:

Another solid day at the Oak, we ended up taking 20+ shots boating 16 of them.

Fish pictures from the day to follow.

Fishing has been very good out of the Oak, and it should remain through August as I am told by some of the regular captains and boats down there.

You Oak guys have been beating them up good out there!! The BIG ones 2, might have to pull out of sandy and set up at the nose troll towards you! How long does it take ya to get to the nose trollin??

http://www.attheoak.com/landmark.html

here ya go ,,as much as I enjoy yer post Jax kinda sounds like ,another site {attheoak} could use yer help...... Thanks ,This year has been a record year for me ...in the oppisite direction :( Ive been to L.O. 1 time... ;( so its nice to see yer post as the oak has been my favorite port for years (14) how ironic same number of cat legs....

thanks again