Copper

Ivan

A few years ago I bought a reel with 500' of copper on it. I lost 200' of it in a bad tangle on a fish on a dipsey, so I have 300' left on the reel plus backing.

I plan on just using the 300' I have left but am looking for advice on what to do with the end of the copper. I know I want to put mono or floro at the end beyond the copper. How much mono/floro should i use? Do i tie a little swivel that can fit into my reel to join the copper and the mono? What type of knot works for copper? Do i need shrink tubes to put over the knots?

What will 300' get me? 60 down?

Sorry about all the questions, but it's been a couple years since I had the issue with the copper rod and I forget how it was set up to begin with.

Thanks in advance for responses.

I did a little research and found answers to a couple of my questions.

300' of copper should be around 60'down. I guess it's about 20' for every 100' of copper

Looks like I tie floro or mono directly to the copper using an Albright knot. Is that what you guys do?

Does that Albright knot need to be covered with shrink tubing?

How much mono/floro should I use for leader material beyond the copper?

Personally I would tie on 20 ft or so of 30 lbs mono with an albright knot or spro swivel. Then attach 15 ft of 30 lbs floro. The tubing is optional, it let's that knot go through the guides smoother. And you don't have shard ends to cut yourself on.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Just my 2 cents but, why wouldn't you buy a 200" copper and use a spro swivel with shrink tube and get the 500' copper you started with ? Seems to me you've got the reel for it if it started out that way. I've got a similar splice in mine and it goes through the guides just fine.

I though about adding another 200', but the few times I used the copper I never put out more than 300' anyway. I guess it would be best to have all 500' in case I wanted it.

What kind of knot do I use to tie the copper to a swivel for the splice?

Splice on 200 feet using a haywire twist, no swivel required at the CU-CU splice. Shrink tube is optional. Shrink tube is handy over an Albright knot (backing to CU or leader to CU) to keep it from wearing but, check your level wind eye to make sure it will fit through.

Attach the leader using either an Albright knott or, a Spro swivel. Spro connects to CU by passing it through the eye 2x and then finishing with a haywire twist.

About 30 feet of 30# flourocarbon for the leader.