Cayuga 8/24

Best eaters from the FL?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Best eaters from the FL?

• Lake Trout
    • LL Salmon
    • Brown Trout
    • Rainbows

Steady action today. Took someone out and we did okay, lost count due to not paying attention but maybe 9 or 10 between the two of us. Dropped a couple too, including a 4-5 lb salmon I hooked down around 50 and knew right away it wasn't a laker, it just fought differently, a lot faster movements. Got it up to the boat and it hopped around a bit before getting off as I was too slow with the net. Also wasn't used to having someone else around so I forgot to ask for help, we could have just scooped it up at first. Oh well, I would have released it anyway so it was nearly as good- at least I saw it up top! 8) Nice and shiny silver. Great fight too, got the blood moving.

I'd have to say the last 4 or so salmon I've kept have been poor eating, mushy mealy flesh, not good. That's why I say I'd have released that one if we got it in the boat. Anyone else experiencing this? The lakers have been much tastier. Fried laker has made for some outstanding dinners this summer.

What else, well it got a bit breezy from 7:30-9:30 or so which made boat control tough but overall it was a steady pick, no time better than another. Found a lot of fish and they'd come take a look but aggressive fish just weren't in the cards, guess the evening bite is still the better time? I was hoping it would have switched back but nope, still busy enough to keep us entertained. Got J his first couple of lakers so the biggest mission of the day was accomplished, and he actually landed the first one too. :yes: Very cool.

Fish were in 80-90, stayed in there more or less. Fished 6-11. A beautiful morning and my '85 Suzuki is loving the E0 from Fastrac.

Good report, recently was able to nab a couple salmon myself jigging, lots of fun. Also tried some different colored bucktails, which I've never done before , always went with white flukes. Couple of weeks ago they were hitting on red and white. Last Sunday saw all kinds of bait and couldn't pull a laker for anything. Threw a green down halfway in 90 feet , retrieved quickly and started bringing up the salmon. If you come up with some let us know.

Fried trout is the best, but for the most part they all go back in the drink.

Thanks for all the info on your site!!!!

Awesome report

I have never caught a salmon before but I have seen a few of your reports using a dead/live sawbelly's and a slip bobber. I may give it a try with that sort of rig but feel free to let me know if there is another setup I could try out. I plan to be out both tomorrow and Sunday morning this weekend early (6am).

I may even go out tonight to experiment with this "evening bite" I keep hearing about (around Myers park area).

I have been reluctant to go below 90 foot of water looking for the bait/fish but after your report I may start at 80 FOW. I think I have a mental condition I refer to as Depth Bias, Thinking that the bigger fish will be in deeper water all the time.

They also have 89 Octane E0 at Wilcox General Store in Aurora - My engines also love the E0.

I am curious what Octane rating the gas from Fastrac is?

Thanks again!

A*M, I seem to remember a post recently about picking up several salmon and I thought "wow lucky guy" as it doesn't happen too often at least not for me. Must have been your post, congratulations. Did land one earlier this year but it was much smaller than this one. Today's fish hit a green back / off white belly, so maybe they like the green. Always fished white or silver for them from shore at Taughannock though with good results.

new@this, The Fastrac on 13N has 91 E0. Don't know if you'd notice a difference between the two as compared to E0 / E10. As for the slip bobber that's the best way I know of to target salmon/browns while drifting. You could try jigging to suspended fish but that's much harder, (sounds like A*M got a few that way), it works but isn't reliable. Casting with a spoon like a Kastmaster or Little Cleo can be productive if you're in an area with fish, that's a more traditional horizontal retrieve and seems to work better vs. the vertical. I use those when fishing from shore in winter / early spring. Just count down to 10 or 20 or something before reeling it in.

hey new@this, Salmon in Cayuga are easy to catch in spring fall and winter.. Just troll flatlines at the south end of the lake or around Taughannock Park after the weather cools down.. Late October into Dec is good, but they will hit right through the winter if you can take it.. In April and May they can be caught anywhere in the lake pretty much from Ithaca right up to where it starts getting shallow at the north end..

I use silver and black rapalas, rebels, or similar lures and catch my share..

The guys that use downriggers get them all summer of course... I don't target them deep, as I don't deep troll.. Also, they are caught all winter at Taughannock park.. Guys use bobbers with big shiners and catch them, but sawbellies are better if you can find them.. Also a lot are caught using 1/4- 1/2 oz bucktails.. White with a strip of mylar is all you need.

Off the walls at the park is always ok for Salmon from late oct through May, but its NOT an every day thing.. The guys that catch them put a TON of time in.. Many of them fish every single day... They can be caught though, if you can put the time in..... bob

The LL's are awesome but.....

My son Brian and I (he is in Missouri now for 9 weeks MP training Nat. Guard) tried lake trout over charcoal grille last week on vacation...really good !! the 22 inchers were just perfect..Italian seasoning and lemon, few pads of butter ...whoa :inlove:

CAM00154.jpg