Canandaigua 9/9/2012 Continued.....

The 300' copper and the Revelator with a reel hooked up fly caught another whopper today we could barely budge her to get enough line in to get the planer board off, got about 2 wraps of copper on the backer and off she came. Reeled it in to find the treble of the tournament tied fly broke off. Unbelievable, there is a huge fish out there, to be continued....

Now back to the story, I had family visiting for the weekend and they surprised me when they asked me if we could go fishing. We went down to the boat Sunday at 1:00 pm. Now I usually like to head out early in the morning, but I figured we could get into them if I headed back to my favorite spot. I set lines on a south troll, ran the 2 wire divers, 2 riggers, and 300' copper. After about a mile, without a hit, since they were all rookies, I told them what to expect, how the rods would look when a fish was hooked and how to reel them in. Well, the instruction was just over and rigger fires down 61', as Teresa was reeling in her the rigger fish, starboard diver fires, DOUBLED UP, I helped Liz get the rod out of the holder and then she took over. They took turns with fighting belt once Teresa boated her rainbow. Liz had taken over the belt when the copper on a planer board fires. I grabbed the copper and handed it to Teresa, while Liz brought her laker to the net as their dad Mike piloted the Brown How'ND. I was going to reset the wire diver running a blue flasher with a Big Weenie IMANUTJOB, when I noticed Teresa having trouble with the copper, the drag was screaming, and I thought she bumped the star drag loose. I asked her stop reeling and I pulled some line off the reel, she had NOT bumped it. I immediately asked Liz to start bringing in the rigger rods, while I cleared the other wire diver. We had a real heavy on and I wanted all the room we could get and the ability to chase her down if we needed to play that card. We were slowed right down, going in and out of gear just to reel in enough line to get the planer board off, I barely got a couple of wraps of copper around the spool when the line went slack. I reeled the attractor and fly in expecting I just unbuttoned her, but the treble hook was broke off. After further inspection it was a clean break not knot failure, so my instincts tells me it was large laker with some serious teeth. I cannot wait to get back out there.

100_0571.jpg

100_0573.jpg

100_0577.jpg

100_0585.jpg

100_0569.jpg

Above you can see the Spro Swivel where the backing is attached to the copper shortly before the breakoff

Mike,

I went out this afternoon. Tried our spot from last week on the east side, and found all those fish and bait had moved north of Pelican Point. Hooked 6 rainbows, landed 5. Wanted to try across the lake where we had all those missed hits but ran out of daylight.

Pete

Great post as usual Mike! I lost one last week right before dark on the dipsey set at 290. Bathe time I had by the time I had him stopped and started gaining on it the line counter said 420. Got it to 170 and it pulled free! Now my fishing is over for the year with a broke lower unit:(

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png