Installing a new bellows

High Bidder

Last year I replaced the bellows on my OMC cobra. When I first bought a boat with an I/O I was worried about the bellows leaking and the boat sinking. So after 3 years I figured that I should change it. Apparently I did it wrong because it leaked and ruined my gimbal bearing. I replaced the gimbal bearing and u-joints and now I am ready to install the new bellows. Should a special sealer be used? My manual isn't very detailed for the installation.

Thanks

High Bidder

Usually when you buy new bellows they come with a tube of glue .

You are supposed to clean the area that the bellows slide over and are clamped down on. Once you have cleaned that area you smear the glue (it makes me think of inner tube patching glue) onto the bellows area that is going to touch the cleaned area and let it sit for about ten minutes.Then you slide the bellows in place and clamp them down.

If you did not get the glue,then get it from your local marina.

before i learned of the glue and did my first bellows 12 years ago ,I used grease to get it to go on easier opps.......well strange enuf 12 years later still dryer than a popcorn fart..think proper positioning and clamp placement saved my butt....Make shure yer chasing the right problem.. also i never leave the outdrive trimmed up for long storage so the bellows doesnt form a memory...

P.S. The "weep hole" behind the helmet is 1/4 in or smaller so it ant like the boat is gonna "Titanic" under you ......If yer getting a lot of water when pullin plug ,or yer bilge pump seems to come on all the time that ant right (not just you but EVERYONE) .....CHECK YER HELMET SEAL TOO

I got very little water in the bilge. Most of it probably comes from washing the floor after landing a fish. Thre is never enough water in the bilge to activate the bilge pump even after fishing for a week. So the leak wasn't big, just big enough to ruin the gimbal bearing. Thanks for the advice.

High Bidder