Winter Blues: Anyone head south for some fishing action?

Hey all,

Just wondered if anyone heads south during the winter months for some fishing action and where your locale of choice is. We've gone to Naples FL area the past few times and have a good guide there who gets you into the action whatever your fancy may be. We were looking to try a new area (yet one that still doesn't cost a fortune to get/fly to). Any spots (and potentially guides) you'd recommend?

We usually go down to Altamonte Springs in FL to visit family and do some bass fishing in the nation's best lakes. If anyone would like a good guide for that area my Grandfather-in-law is a bass guide let me know!

Chas

Hey all,

Just wondered if anyone heads south during the winter months for some fishing action and where your locale of choice is. We've gone to Naples FL area the past few times and have a good guide there who gets you into the action whatever your fancy may be. We were looking to try a new area (yet one that still doesn't cost a fortune to get/fly to). Any spots (and potentially guides) you'd recommend?

Still fishing for musky in the St. Larry until Dec. 15......but then it's time to head to Stuart, Florida for Pompano and Kingfish all winter! :D When the Atlantic gets too rough, we fish the surf and the jetty's for spanish and blues and jacks and whiting. It's only an hour drive away from "speckled perch" in Kissimee River. 8)

usally i go to florida as my gparents have/had a condo there (was just sold this year after 20 years :( i love saltwater fishing. aint no better! only crappy thing is though alot of the good species isnt 'usually' caught during winter months although sailfish and wahoo are still abundant in winter. the last fishing trip i did in florida was in june and that was an awsome trip! i flew down on my own and boarded chips a hoy charters in bonynton beach. class A guy!!! he caught me all the species i was targeting.

caught a 100lb sailfish a couple kings, bonita, few dolphin(mahi-mahi) amberjack, tile fish, had a tuna but was eaten by a bull shark near the boat, remorah etc. his rates arevery good! 795 for 8 hours aboard his 32 foot contender CC

if you dont mind i would like to share a story. if requested to be removed i have no problem doing so! in june of 2011 i made a solo trip to florida for a fishing trip. i had booked a charter with chips a hoy charters in boynton beach florida. he asked me if there were certain species of fish i would like to target and i told him the fish i would like to. we went out and he was able to pinpoint wrecks and certain xspots for specific fish and he had caught all of them that i was looking for except a wahoo even though we thought we had one on but snapped the line when i got over anxious and tightened the drag. he uses live bait or at least he did when i went with him. he also uses kite fishing which proved extremely effective. although my grandparents had a condo i wasnt able to use it at the time and with no where to cook it up he offered to come over to his place and he and his wife had cooked me a nice meal of the fish and gave me a couple beers. i could not ask for more of an honest guy who really knows whats hes doing. he has won a couple of sailfish tournaments. this is one memory that will NEVER fade for me!!

NOTE: he only offered me to his place im sure cuz i was alone, young and generous. dont know if i should be ''bragging'' i was invuted to his place so if anyone does go to him for a charter i would appreciate it not mentioned as i was told i was only person to ever to be invited let alone only person to ever rent out a charter alone.

so if your in the area give capt chip sheehan at chips a hoy charters!

545719_10152090952770538_1662639374_n.jpg

255661_10150620046050538_3155887_n.jpg

Afterschool:

We stay on Kiawah Island, which is about 25 miles south of Charleston proper. Factoring in stops, and not killing

ourselves, its about 14 hrs from Dunkirk to Kiawah. If you've never been to Charleston, its simply old school,

south. Beautiful city, lots to do, lots of great places to eat. Kiawah is big$$ if you're buying, but to stay is not

too bad, and very laid back. Opposite of Mrytle.

If you're really thinking about it.... I recommend Affinity Charters. Capt. John Ward. He's on the web.

Super nice guy. I think this year will be the 7th year I fish with him.....

Happy to tell you more about the area too. PM me and I'll give you my cell.

John

• 1 month later...

My wife and I like to fish Costarica. We fished there a few weeks ago and caught some Mahi Mahi, tuna, sail fish, we had a 500 lb Marlin on but it got off. The fish in this pic is our biggest Mahi Mahi caught last year

95facebook95175379992295.jpg

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Nice Mahi Mahi Al :yes:

I usually go to the Keys in Florida for a week or two in the winter, and It's great fishing but a pricey trip. This year we are changing it up and going to Flamingo Campgrond in The Everglades National Park for the first 9 days of our trip....then to Key West for the last 4 days.

Flamingo is cheap...$30 a night for an RV spot or you can tent it if that is what you prefer. It's right on the Florida bay at the very bottom of the state, directly across from the keys (45 minute boat ride over to The Keys).

I hear the fishing is crazy good, I will let you know. We leave this Friday so I'll post a report on how the fishing & campground is.