Mooching Set-Ups

Does anyone run mooching combos on Lake O for Salmon? I know of one Canadian team who uses them. I think it would be fun. It looks like Okuma is making a nice combo now, but the expensive route looks like an Islander reel/Sage rod.

I know a Canadian guy who is running the Islander Mooching reels on Sage Mooching rods. That's a bit rich for my liking. I would like to get a few of these set-ups for when the fishing is stupid to have some fun on. It looks like Okuma is making Mooching combos, but I have never been a huge fan of their stuff. That being said the stuff I have used from them was years ago.

• 1 month later...

I've been using Islander MR2's & MR3's for a number of years now. If I never used a level wind again after using the Islanders I'd be happy. I've brought in numerous fish on these reels & it's an experience you'll never forget. Yes Islanders are a little high priced but you pay for what you get. They are the top of the line & there's no other mooching reel that comes close to the Islanders!

ive been using two mooching setups in my boat for two seasons now. its not a true mooching rod but paired up with the reel it makes a fun setup. 8'6" okuma glt rigger rod with daiwa mooching reel. caught everything from spring browns to big kings on them. the drag system in the reel is awesome! real smooth and powerful. plus the reel holds a ton of line. most guys that go with me and try them love them after getting through their first knuckle busting experience! i also like the guides on the bottom and having a left hand crank just like if i was using a spin setup. best, mark

Years ago I bought two Mitchell mooching reels & rods. The first time out we got a nice King on & when we got the fish about twenty feet from the boat the reel seized up. I gave both rigs away & swore I'd never use a mooching reel again. Several years ago I went out with a buddy in his boat. He had an Islander MR2 & an Islander MR3 in his set. It didn't take long to convince me they were the reels to go to. I've got three now & as I said if I never had to use a level wind again I'd be happy. They're one great reel!!