outboard steering arm lube

choo-choo

I have a 96 evinrude 60 hp on a key west cc that i keep and use by my sons house in north carolina. The steering always locksup on it when it sits for a week or more. I've cleaned and sprayed the stainless steel rod that goes in and out..but it always locks up anyway.We've tried some grease but it doesn' t work any better.We use it in salt water, but there is no noticeable corrosion....what is the best grease or lube to use on the steering to keep it from locking up?

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

sounds like cable is starting to go ,as you said the stainless is good and clean yer breakin the rust free when you lube and work it ,also check to see if spray is hitting cable at different speeds you might be injecting salt water when you run...Bottom line if its the cable ya gotta replace it ant gonna get better specially in salt..

Thanks for the info and advice guys. Ray K , definately salt spray getting on the cable and steering arm. It's a shallow draft little 17 footer, and a very wet ride with a little wind or chop.......I will get some of that merc 2-4-c lube om..... and use your cable removal trick when it locks up again jimski.Thanks again guys.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png