Best Navionics Chip for Lake Ontario

momay4000

I phrased this this a bit different from my previous post - but could folks comment on the best Navionics Card in general to use in a Fishfinder/GPS specifically for Lake Ontario.

I'm looking at the Platinum+ cards and the Platinum Hotmaps.

Thanks,

-Chris

We have the Platinum+, and it's a very nice card, but it's more for navigational purposes. I like it because we go to some new ports for tourneys every once and a while. The Platinum+ give me a birds eye view of the harbor, which is really nice. 

If they still make the fishing chip I think that card gives you 1' increments, and would be a better chip for you to buy.

If you have an iPad or an Android Tablet download the Navionics app for $10 and use that as your stand alone GPS. I have it on my phone and it works really nice. You won't get port info, or birds eye view shots of harbors, but for a nice map with contour lines on it I'd say it's a deal @ $10.

The platinum+ has the fish'n'chip built into it.  On my Lowrance HDS in the chart settings menu, there is a button to enable the fish'n'chip. This gives better contour/bottom detail, but turns off most nav aids. I think the Platinum hotmaps version has even better bottom detail, but not sure about nav aids.

HTH's...

Cheers..Jake

Edited by nautime

With the Navionics Great Lakes Platinium+ you also have access to the F&C. When you activate the F&C you are loosing some details for the navigation but you are getting more details for the bottom; you can also view some pics of marina and details about those marinas.

I'm posting some pics from my 648P+

shot007_zps983e1110.png

shot006_zpsd11d0bf4.png

shot008_zps9286a850.png

shot10_zps6f333b2f.png

If you purchase a Navionics you can also get a 1 year free updates and if you are running a P+ with a HB or a Raymarine you can also register you're logs and uploading those to Navionics and they will be available 24hrs after to be download on you're chip.

With the Hotmaps P+ you are getting the same kind of details

Edited by wallyandre