Sodus Bay

Indecisive

There were several boats in the NYS Barge Canal, on Sunday, in Sylvan/Verona Beach.

Suspect they were looking/catching Walleyes coming upstream.

I would NOT go on the ice now whatsoever.

Stopped by the house on the way to a job around 10 am and 3 guys were heading out... I asked if they were crazy... no answer. Got home around 4 when they were coming back up the hill, the one guy said never again, should have never been out there...DAH.. open water all around, what gave it away!

Later

Chaz

P.S. Now a coating of snow on the bay this morning, someone will try it.

Got home from work tonight to find one guy fishing out in front of the house. He left around 6 or so when I said to my wife that a crack in the ice running parrallel to shore showed up, about 5 minutes later and after the guy left......open water! He would have been stuck 100' from shore! (can't get pic to load)

Guys it might be time to put the ice rods away and start waxing the boat if your bored!

later

Chaz

• 10 months later...

Anyone have current conditions on Sodus?  I am looking for ice thickness and perch bite.

Thanks

Last reports I saw on iceshanty was 12"-14" of ice, and the bite is very slow.  Those that are catching fish are going through a lot of dinks and having to move around a bit to find any keepers.  Last weekend, the fish being caught were suspended 2'-4' above the bottom.  Due to the snow, it's a hard pull on the ice with 12"-18" drifts. 

Last reports I saw on iceshanty was 12"-14" of ice, and the bite is very slow.  Those that are catching fish are going through a lot of dinks and having to move around a bit to find any keepers.  Last weekend, the fish being caught were suspended 2'-4' above the bottom.  Due to the snow, it's a hard pull on the ice with 12"-18" drifts. 

Thank you.  I am getting desparate for some perch and heard they are not doing much at little sodus so I thought I would give Sodus a try.  We probably will go out on Sunday anyway.  Maybe get lucky.

Thanks again

Fishing slow all over I was told. Have a hunch sodus will start picking up soon. Trying either third creek or Leroy in the am. I have a clam 5600, hell to drag in the snow :( good luck!

Just got back.  Fished off the north end because we could not find access off the south end that didn't involve a long walk.  Fished in 30fow for 4 hours and caught 8 dinker perch.  That was it.  A few people around us caught a few keeper perch but nobody was doing much.  Will have to try again when the activity picks up.