This topic has come full circle a couple times at my shop. Scotty has been in the business for decades and the west coast salmon fishery loves them. Scotty Uses the best plastic available and it has a mesh composite and is UV protected as well. I reccomend calling scotty directly 1-800-214-0141 they have a great sales/customer service staff that answers the phone and will help. I have done this myself, and there answer is yes on the 470 model rocket launcher. The Scotty 230 and 280 models were not designed for a dipsy presentation. 

The Scotty 470 is plastic at the base. Scotty Tested these in there shop and broke several halibut boat rods (these are like a broomstick)

I will say this is like "rock-paper-scissors" metal will win over plastic every time.

Hope this Helps

Brett

I just recently was introduced to Folbe rod holders. I dont have first hand experience with them buy have been told they are awesome. I like the way you can just grab the rod out of the holder by pulling straight up. See the video on their website.

My advice would be buy the best rod holders you can afford. I bought 8 quick draw rod holders from Cabelas BIG MISTAKE, I should have known better. Brett has given you some real good advise, whatever brand you decide to go with, don't be afraid to call the mfg's tech dept and ask questions. If your not happy with the answers, go somewhere else.  I've had great luck with Kevin @ Big John.