How to slow down kicker?

Lobster

9.9 Yamaha on 18' Lund walk through. When pulling Seth Green rigs I have a tough time getting down slow enough. Don't wan't to set idle too low for proper cooling, and don't like pulling 5 gallon buckets. Am I better off with a lower pitch prop (do they make them?) or trying to find a small trolling plate, again do they make them. Do most of my trolling on Keuka and Cayuga and some on the Hudson. Thanks for any input.

Lower pitch prop will work.  Look for a sail boat prop they are usually a lot lower pitch.

You could make your own trolling plate with some aluminum angle and a small sheet of aluminum.  I would make it bigger than I need and take a pair of tin snips with me to fine tune.

Edited by Chas0218

It sounds as though either you need to have your idle adjusted properly or as Chas said see about another prop. I've never had any problem running two or 4 rigs with the 9.9 on my present boat or even when it was on the much smaller13 ft. Whaler. I also wonder if it would help to adjust the ANGLE the motor is set at on the transom and bring it UP a bit so it isn't "digging in" as much and make sure keep your big motor in the down position to induce drag if you are not already doing so. If the carb or injection system is adjusted right on a 9.9 it should idle down to near stopping without quitting or harming the motor but you may have to "goose" it once in awhile to prevent loading up if trolling at extreme slow speeds for long intervals. Pulling rigs usually SLOWS down a boat a little from the drag so it must be running unusually fast.

To me it sounds like you have your idle set to high . when you are at idle (neutral) what is your rpm reading ? should be no more than 1000 rpms. I have  a 15 hp honda and i can troll down to .05 mph but i also have a 25 footer. Try lowering the idle before spending $$. Just my opinion.

Jersey Jim 

Thanks guys...I like the idea of raising the angle and looking at the idle again. It pretty much just barely puts out a sputtering stream out of the tattle tail when all the way idled down and is just barely in gear and runs smooth hours on end. Not much of a problem going into a breeze or current but on dead calm can't get much below 2 mph. Thanks again... great site and everybody's willingness to share.

Thanks guys...I like the idea of raising the angle and looking at the idle again. It pretty much just barely puts out a sputtering stream out of the tattle tail when all the way idled down and is just barely in gear and runs smooth hours on end. Not much of a problem going into a breeze or current but on dead calm can't get much below 2 mph. Thanks again... great site and everybody's willingness to share.

The tell tail only tells you the impeller is working that is the only purpose it serves, all your hot water goes down the shaft and out the prop. You shouldn't have any cooling issues idling the motor down low. If your worried take the lid off and put your hand right on the head, you should be able to keep to keep your hand there for at least 3 seconds.

Lobster, I have a 20ft Sea Ray I can get down to .5 mph with a 15hp Johnson twin cylinder 2 stroke, if you can't get it to do what you want, I have a troll plate I had on a 88hp Johnson don't know if it will fit, I no longer need it, It's one of those spring loaded ones, you don't have to remember to unlock it, it flys up with the pressure from the prop, I hated the thing because in reverse you have no controll-steering, with it being down it wouldn't allow enough water to the prop for proper controll, anyway if you choose a troll plate, I will give you the one I have, just pay the shipping and it's yours!  I paid like $90.00 for it but that doesn't matter because it just lays in the garage in my way.  PAP.

Lobster, I don't think you have to worry about cooling. I have an evinrude that purrs down to nothing if need be. Are you sure that 2mph is what it actually is? Sometimes speeds vary between boats. If your dragging flashers on the bottom you will know your too fast with the throbbing and not staying on bottom. If your spreading spoons across the thermocline I'm liking that speed. As you may already know if your catching bows and salmon your fast if all are lakers pick it up a bit. If line is too far back go to a heavier weight. A drift sock as was mentioned off the bow does the trick though if truly needed at a min cost. Hope it helps.