Finger Lakes Browns

Hey folks. I'm looking for a little help. I'm from Syracuse, NY. We've had our boat out trolling for the past 3 years. Most of our time and effort is on Lake O and we have been pretty successful at catching Salmon, Browns and Steelies. We only have a 20' Fishmaster, so when Lake O gets a little too blustery we often have to head to one of the finger lakes to get our fishing fix quenched. MY question is can someone please help us figure out what our approach should be to get into some Browns on either Cayuga or Owasco. I have found I am at a loss there. In the big lake especially this time of year we are running our spread through 10-20 FOW and getting bit all day long. Once we get to the finger lakes finding 10-20 FOW is like finding a way to split the atom. Just not that easy. Finger lakes have such sharp drop offs where should we be focusing our time. Also up in Lake O in the shallower water we run mostly Stick baits and spoons. Either Flatlined on the boards or a couple 2 or 3 colors of lead core. Barely use our riggers as we are so shallow. We don't have much issue catching lakers in Cayuga or Owasco. Seems like they are a dime a dozen. I know there are Browns in there I've seen people catch em just wish I knew what we were doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks All, Tight Lines and Sharp Hooks!!!

On Seneca the browns are very "skiddish" and especially since the clarity of the water has taken such a drastic turn since the zebras and quaggas. Instead of trolling the shoreline in fairly consistent depths for long intervals (e.g. the 10-20ft and closer that you mentioned about Lake O) it helps to concentrate your efforts on areas where the shallows MEET the drop offs and at the mouths of streams where this happens.. Browns feed voraciously on sawbellies especially when they (sawbellies) come into the shallows in the Spring and they come in after them and often can be found "lurking" nearby sometimes suspended but often bottom oriented and are often "mistaken' for lakers on the depth finder in or near the drop offs. In the mornings when light levels are low they can be found in real shallow water around docks and other structure (probably having been in there during the night feeding) especially during moonlight conditions that previous night. The planer boards can be valuable hugging the shore or top lines run way back with a single splitshot about two ft from the lure (eg. with jointed floatiing rapalas in J- 7 or 9) then as the light increases they are almost useless in shallow. This is when the drop off areas need to be exploited with other methods such as downriggers., wire rigs or leadcore run way back from the boat. with a lighter leader (10 or 12 lb test remember...there aren't any Chinooks there :>). Run out from the shoreline going deeper and toward the bottom on angles. Always concentrate your efforts around any bait you can find in these areas. This is all during the Spring time and you'll also hit lakers and an occasional big pike. This same general strategy has also worked on Owasco and Cayuga over the years.

Edited by Sk8man

Yes indeed, I have good results at dawn this time of year, in close with planer boards.  By the time the sun is up, it seems the browns go deeper.  I don't always have the motivation to get on the water that early (especially when it is 20 degrees), but when I do, usually hit 2 or 3 football browns on Seneca.  Actually, without any real scientific evidence, I always do better fishing generally, at dawn or sunset.  Sort of makes sense with the water clarity.  Also, a little chop is good...I think it breaks up the light penetration.  So then, dawn, sunset, a little chop and overcast sky is the best for me.

Browns are highly nocturnal (feeding). For years we took advantage of this at the south end of Canandaigua and Keuka  night fishing with sawbellies so the chances are greater of encountering them at transitional times (dawn and at dark) are better.