hook sizes

hey everyone.. im just replacing some hooks on my lures due to some rust or are just very dull now. was curious the hooks on my trolling spoons seem really big... is there a size preference you guys like?? after all this is the most important part of the rig!!! im thinking that some of these salmon and trout will actually follow and observe the lure for quite some time and that if they see the hook or it is relly big that it stands out could cause less strikes?? but on the other hand dont want them so small that it cant hook into the fish at all.

what brand and size hooks do you all like?? im just replacing with trebles on my spoons 

i just bought some #2 size gamagatzu or however you spell it lol trebles... in the package when i was looking at them they looked decent size until i brought them home and compared to my current hooks on my spoons then they looked fairly small. using mostly dreamweaver 4'' spoons

I seldom change to trebles on stick baits because of the balance problems possible, but for other lures such as flutter spoons I changed over to 1/0,2/0 and 3/0  (depending on size of spoons 2 inch,3 to 4 inch, and larger respectively) Mustad Stainless Steel triple strength SINGLE Siwash salmon hooks ages ago and have never had a problem since changing away from trebles. On the downside they can be relatively expensive and I've bought probably a thousand or more over the years but they are worth it in my view... they never rust either.

Edited by Sk8man

the big issue with changing hooks is trying to match the weight of the hook you are replacing. In general the lures are tuned to run properly with the weight of hook that comes on them and replacing with either a lighter or heavier hook can seriously affect  the action. 

That said, you can also use hook weight difference to intentionally change how a lure runs, a lighter hook on a spoon for instance will let it run properly at slower speeds, but the spoon will spin out at the faster speeds and conversly, a heavier hook will let you run a spoon faster than the stock hook without spinning out.  Sometimes little tweaks like that can really turn a dud into a stud. 

Some Sticks definitely run different with the front hook removed, it seems to give them a wider wobble.

Tim

Edited by Tim Bromund