hermit and guff catch a few salmon (Cayuga 4/26)

Excellent fishing today!  (As previously noted!)  Met up with guff and went looking for salmon.  Our first fish was the fattest pickerel I've ever seen, a real beauty.  After that it was game on with salmon, we lost count pretty quickly but as Billy V said the first two hours were non-stop, hardly a dull moment.  It then slowed up as the morning went on but we were catching fish even as we pulled into the channel on the way home.  We probably ended up with close to 20 fish running 3 rods.

Biggest was a hair shy of 23" with two other keepers, one dropped at the boat and the other landed successfully.  Almost everything came from the top 5 feet with a few down deeper later in the morning.  We also caught a lamprey which hit a stick.  Anything we put down took a whack or three with firetiger doing quite a bit of the work including the big one.  One hiccup happened when a fish bolted and the line got caught in my prop.  The salmon left and I managed to get guff's lure back and after 10-15 minutes got the prop cleared and we were back in business. Edit: 2.1-2.4 on the GPS worked for us, that's about as slow as I go at the moment (mechanic adjusted idle too high and I need to lower it again.)  Rapalas and small spoons.

A great week, also made a quick trip yesterday and did pretty well for the post-frontal conditions, got a 22", a 19", two shorts, and cast sticks for another 2 almost legal fish.

Edited by hermit

Sounds as though you guys had quite a time of it. Good report too. Is Al still waiting on his Yamaha parts  to get back into business with his boat ?  Hope to get out myself early next week (in- laws are here right now for another couple days....sure put a dent in my fishing plans) :)  

Sk8man -   thanks for asking about my motor. Stopped at the marina at the end of last week and they said the part HAD come in. Have not received a call yet however saying the old girl was ready to pick up. Thanks to Hermit and my usual fishing buddy (Doug) I have been out 3 times in last two weeks with them so have not gone bonkers yet. Got a real tutorial from Hermit on catching salmon (see above) yesterday. Thanks a bunch Hermit (Alec). -Al

Sounds likes little progress anyway. Good luck with it Alec. Thank heaven for buddies with boats right?...My buddy Admiral Byrd saved my butt (from going bonkers) this winter when I had the plastic still on my boat with good action at the south end of Seneca.