I'm not sure what you are running for your main line....it sounds as though it is fluorocarbon. The fluoro is best used as leader material not the main line. The the length and line strength of the leader is dependent on what you intend to then use for your main line and also what particular set ups you intend to run, (wire, copper, lead core, mono etc.), and your terminal lures and/or attractors as well as the depth you are trying to achieve. The specific rod and reel that you are using is also important in determining what types of setups you can run from it (e.g. rod have a twilli tip or roller tip, standard tip and guides ,reel capacity etc. The main reasons for not using the fluoro for your main line is that a) it has little if any stretch and it is rather brittle and stiff and b) does not come off the reel well when there is a lot of it on there.

Edited by Sk8man

Fluoro mainline material and fluoro leader material are two separate things. The manufacturers make each differently (different resins of mainline vs. leader) and because of extra resins, the fluoro leader material is more expensive.

The fluoro leader material is typically more abrasion resistant and stiffer and it's made to be stronger at shorter lengths, whereas fluoro mainline is typically a bit softer and made to be stronger and absorb impact at very long lengths.

"invisibility" is about the same for both materials.

It's up to you, but I don't fish without fluoro leader material no matter what my mainline is.

Good luck on the water,

Chris