Arrived on Thursday to rough conditions. We knew it was going to lay down so we checked into our rooms and waited it out. 2pm we launched and got out fishing. It was a little sloppy but fishable. Blue and silver was the ticket. We took hits and fish on blue and silver sticks of all types. I think we went 7 for 9, something like that. Two huge lakers, a couple small steel and the rest browns, largest brown at 12.5lbs. We came in at 6 due to kicker issues and we wanted to get them checked out. Back at the dock the kicker started and sounded fine??????

Next morning kicker had issues again..... Wouldn't stay running. I was able to finally get it to stay running and we fished it with a biot of choke on the next two days. OK back to the fishing. Friday was great and we couldn't have asked for a better day. We lost count of how many fish we caught it was that good. Same pattern as the day before with a black silver/ purple silver thrown in there too. Largest brown on Friday was 11 lbs with a bunch over 9 and a couple of 8lbers. Some small steelhead, one small rainbow and some corker smallmouth. As I said that one day made the trip.

Next morning we got a latter start than we anticipated. Tons of trailers already at the marina. We made the call to go west and avoid the crowds. Not sure if it was the right call but we went to rice creek and there were only two boats working the area (one was at the bluff's, Hat Trick). So we figured there must be some fish around. We deployed a mix of sticks and proceeded west. Well not being extreamely familiar with the area and going by my gps map I got in a little shallow and we hung a few lures. Then coming off the edge a rod fires and Glenn grabs the rods and says we're hung again. As I'm totalling up the lost gear Glenn says it's coming but it's dead weight I must have a piece of bottom. A short time later Glenn's piece of bottom was netted and weighed 9 lbs (a brown). We made another pass but no love so we headed over to the bluff's. On the way there a rod fires and the line is peeling off the reel. Glenn clears all the rods and Will is in an epic battle on the kokanee rod. A while later a 15lb king is in the net! We swing back after a rest and no love. We worked that area and the bluffs over until noon and headed to the dock for lunch. The afternoon we headed east expecting great things. The crowd had dwindled and everything was looking good. Three small stealhead later and some time we hooked a decent fish and the line broke..........some more dead time and another rod fires. 9 lb brown. Maybe we found some fish and they were going to turn on! we circled around changed over the the pattern that took the hit (fire tiger) and headed back to the zone. Just as we get there I look up and there is the Enviormental Police sitting right in front of us with long eyes on us.Being from the east coast we are not use to the life jacket rule but we were aware of it. I asked if everyone was legal and one of our group didn't have his life jacket on....As he slipped it on they headed over to us and asked up to pull in our starboard side board and rods. As we did that they asked if we had fish and we said yes. they said clear all your lines we want to board you and see the fish. So we pull the port side lines and board. They came up and asked to see our liscences and asked if we knew about hte pfd law. We acknowledged that we did and that the individual had just taken it off to put his sweat shirt on when we had a bite and after the action forgot to put it back on. Long story shorter they gave him a ticket. Since all the lines and everything were in and it was now 6:30 we headed in alittle disappointed about the ticket, but understanding it is what it is, a law. Not sure if it was because we were out of staters that they ticketed us or if they are just sticklers for the law and would ticket anyone????

Anyway aside from that a great trip.

Be back in August for some more King action.

Spike

It is not an out of state thing, they are pushing this law as it is fairly new and there are needless drownings every year in spring and fall. 

Case in point look at the search for the 5 year old and father in Jefferson County going on now.

Just wear it.

j

PFD Law?? We were just there for three days... spoke with some DEC workers while in the boat... never knew or heard anything about a floatation law. How would we have known? You would think it would be posted at the ramps or something. I guess we were lucky and the state boys that saw and talked with us didnt care?

Cold Weather Boaters

Anyone underway in a boat less than 21 feet in length anytime between November 1 and May 1 must wear a securely fastened life jacket. This in-cludes canoes, kayaks, rowboats and motorboats Commercial vessels are exempt.

NYS Nav. Law Section 40.1(e).

Is the NEW  life vest law  a must  be on year round, or just a must have thing in the spring & fall, didn't know either, but want to be sure of the law, this sport is expensive enough just with out donating to the long arm of the law. Thanks PAP. 

Is the NEW  life vest law  a must  be on year round, or just a must have thing in the spring & fall, didn't know either, but want to be sure of the law, this sport is expensive enough just with out donating to the long arm of the law. Thanks PAP. 

Thanks that answered my question while I was writing the above post!!