Need Some help

Adk1

on my 1991 Islander 4.3L v6. trying to change my water/fuel separating filter. I cant seem to get it off! I know that I am trying to remove it in the correct direction. I loosened up one of the bolts that I thought my release some of the pressure? don't know if that is what it is for but some fuel started coming out. I tried removing the filter using a filter wrench even and it wouldn't budge. Am I not doing something correctly? I have heard that some will punch a hole through a filter and insert a screwdriver to help remove it..but, with this being fuel and I don't know if that is a good idea. also, if and when I do get the filter loosened up, should I expect fuel to come flowing out of it?

I am not sure about the screwdriver method either on the water/fuel separator.  Yes, there will be fuel that will drain out once you get it off.    Good luck.

Edited by Ray

Something to try....get a can of Endust duster (aerosol spray for electronics) and spray it on the base of the housing where it screws on until the can gets very cold to the touch and then try unscrewing it or try placing one of those instant cold packs on it and then try unscrewing it. Sometimes the contraction of the cold metal will allow things to be separated.

By the way, from a guy who worked on cars in high school and college, the ram a screw driver through the casing and twist method sometimes backfires. I saw on two occasions cars where the casing completely ripped apart and the filter still stuck. Problem it, then car in un-drivable to take it somewhere. Flatbeds make expensive oil changes. 

man this just sucks. maybe I will try remove it from the bracket, flip it upside down, and spray some WD-40 around the seal area. let it sit for awhile then try to remove it..

Try wrapping some course sandpaper around the filter and then try the wrench again, Or...try this youtube method. Of course with this method you run the risk of ripping the casing apart but if all else fails....