Battery Question

I recently had to get a new lawnmower battery, used it for like 5 minutes and then the steering colum gave out and it is an older mower so not worth getting fixed. I accidently threw out my receipt so I have a brand new battery pretty much. I was doing some searching around my garage after and found another one with little use on it that I forgot I had. I got a new mower, which a battery came with it, so I have two fairly unused batteries. I was wondering if I could use them for anything on the boat? Like to run riggers or fish finder/gps or anything else they would be good for. I hate to see them go to waste. I know I can't use it for the motor but anyone ever try them with anything?

Being starter batteries, 12 V, they will run the equipment you list. However, running time and battery discharge will be issues. That type battery is not meant to be discharged considerably and then recharged, as a deep cycle battery is built for. Find a better use for them, you'll only ruin them in no time.

Set them up in parallel and you will be fine, for both electronics and electric downriggers, trolling - different scenario.

I have a deep cycle batt for starting main. I also have a 55aH battery that my kicker charges when trolling, I use it for my radio, ff, lighting(led). I also have a one foot jumper cable in case my main quits. Starts my 50hp no problem

Sent from my Lenovo P770 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You might want to think about using a combination starting/deep cycle battery. The regular deep cycles aren't really designed for starting the engine (high amp short term draw) they are better at running the other stuff over time...

Edited by Sk8man

Just checked the boat and my battery is a starting battery. I assumed it was deep cycle because it says "marine" on it.

Silly me :)

Sent from my Lenovo P770 using Lake Ontario United mobile app