help with lakers

Things being slow with kings would like to catch some Lakers, with that said bought some small cowbells (baby bells) ran them with a bubble gum spoon. Left it down all day with good marks on the graph but never move that rod all day. What size bells is best and what should I run behind them. Thanks for any advice.

I would just jam some spin docs/ flies down there. Still gives you a chance to hook up with a lonely salmon that may be on bottom and the lakers love them too. Most of my luck has been on bright colors (crazy ****, lemon ice, pretty much anything with the chrome on it) 2-2.3mph has been doing it for me.

If I'm running bells ill drop the speed down substantially (1.6-1.9) and ill run a spin and glo or a peanut behind it. I run the 3 or 4" (I think) bells.

Hope this helps!

Edited by NickR

I have been experimenting with different blades and things behind them, and have had my best luck on the Luhr Jensen Bolo blades in size #3 with the chrome(or nickel) and prism finish, with an atomik glow mirage fly behind it about 20".  They seem to love that look when they won't fire on anything else.  I did not have much luck on the oversized blades or with any gold blades. Fished from 1.5-2.4 mph as close to the bottom as you can get them.  I usually go about 5' from bottom.  Hope this helps.

I use size 4/0 Hammerhead cowbells (silver with watermelon & green) and pull a chartreuse spin & glow 24" behind it. I suppose you could attach it to a downrigger but I don't use them on my kayak. I use a thumper rig with a 1 lb sinker that I let bounce on the bottom at between 1 and 2 mph.

cowbell-thumperrig_zps554f58c2.jpg

I practice the same technique as flyboy, but thump my rigger ball on the bottom, went 5 for 6 on sun in one hour fishing one rod, with manual riggers. 2 rods would be crazy as the cowbells were never down more than 2 min without action, i would give myself a heart attack cranking up and down from 115 ft.

I use the same general set up as flyboy (nice drawing by the way :>) but I use a large duolock snap attached to the 3-way swivel and attach it directly to the Luhr Jensen rudder. I use a 2 pound weight most of the time with large sets of cowbells and roller guide rods with 7 strand wire but depending on depth desired, and specific equipment I'm using I vary the size of cowbells and weights to go with it. I carry an assortment of weights from 4 oz to 32 oz in the boat. I use smaller sets of cowbells on the down riggers (minus weights) and usually use peanuts rather than spin-n-glows. When using the larger cowbells I locate a fixed cheater about 3-4 ft. above the cowbells on a leader sized to place the lure behind the cowbell setup and usually with a heavier spoon on it (e.g. NK 28) so that it places it downward and behind the cowbells and peanut. Very effective for large browns and lakers in the Finger Lakes. I also use mono instead of fluoro on the cowbells to peanut leader because down deep the visibility isn't a factor and I want a little stretch when using wire line. Very sharp heavy duty trebles are a must too.

Edited by Sk8man