one more question and thank you for all the info

how much leader do you run on leadcore ,sorry for all the questions I feel like an idiot I only fish small in land lakes but want to fish Ontario a lot more this web site is great I have learned so much from it

I like 20 to25'  that way the knot is well up on the reel when the fish is close to the boat at net time,   ( thanks to Andy Bliss for  the tip) 

Yep, 20-25 feet of leader works well. Here are a couple ways to attach your leader to your lead core:

Willis Knot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge0VCeJOdc4

Needle Knot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBClN_Ck2zY

Lead core to Swivel (I use a Spro)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XkmHPX_mSk

I think the best of the three is the third method using the needle with a swivel on both ends of the lead core.This method allows you to use tiny Spro swivels that will eliminate line twist in your rig. If you don't want to use swivels then either of the first two methods will serve you well. Here are some additional thoughts:

I especially like how the guy in the needle knot video uses a needle and flame to melt the Dacron sheath to keep it from fraying. This is a great tip. It helps keep the end of the Dacron, where it is spliced to the backing, (which faces upwards towards our rod and reel) from getting fouled with fleas and makes it a lot easier to pass through our rod guides and reel's levelwind. I do this when I tie a Willis knot, I recommend you do this also.

The needle knot works better than a Willis for tying braided super lines like Power Pro to lead core. I've pull-tested the Willis with super braids and have had it slip. I have not tried pull testing the double Willis on a knot tester with super lines; I hear that the Double Willis will hold super lines without slipping. (The double Willis is just two overhand loops instead of one cinched down about 1cm apart from each other).

When spooling a reel and you want to use Power Pro for backing, use the needle knot to attach the core to Power Pro backing, and the "melted" Willis knot to attach your leader to the lead core.

When spooling a reel and you want to use mono backing, use a "melted" Willis knot on both ends of the lead core.

If you have to retie a leader on the water, do a standard Willis, but then redo the leader with a "melted" Willis back at the dock.

One final thought; it can be quite difficult to get the Power Pro to pass through the lead core's Dacron sheath because it is so limp under compression. I found that if I apply some white water-soluble glue like Elmers Glue to the power pro and let it dry, it will become stiff enough to easily pass through the lead core’s Dacron sheath. Just make sure to pull the Power Pro through your fingers to remove all the excess glue, and lay it down straight on some wax paper or aluminum foil until it dries. If you’re in a hurry, you can use a hair dryer to speed up the drying process.

Edited by John E Powell