I fished with my good buddy Mike and today we hit the water at 5:30 AM and dropped lines around 6AM, starting at 250 fow north of the Bay. We started with a salmon/steelhead program with two high wires, two riggers and a ten and five color leadcore. We fished north to almost 400' and did not mark anything so we decided to troll back southeast still looking for something.

We had one knock off around 250 fow, but we decided to continue south to the laker grounds only to find that we were dragging a small king on the 65' rigger and a steelhead on the ten color core which didn't pull out of the release when we changed to a laker program. both were spent so I think we were pulling them awhile so it's probably what slowed our bite.....

Since I was a bit ticked off at myself for not noticing this and not wanting to go back out to 250', we stayed put in 100-110' and fished cowbells and two wires for lakers the rest of the morning.

We had all we could handle - essentially a fish every 5-10 minutes, with the biggest lake trout around 15#. It appeared that we were doing the right thing, targeting lakers as there were charters fishing the same waters and it looked like they were also netting a few.

We finished the day with about 14 fish - all lake trout other than the small steelhead and Chinook from earlier. I would imagine if we stayed out deeper, the silver action would have been decent, but I prefer quantity to quality, so I was happy catching the lakers.

The following took fish today: 10 color core (DW regular firecracker spoon), 65' rigger (DW SS Seasick Waddler I believe), NK Watermellon cowbells with a glow peanut and Hammerhead 4-0 and 5-0 chartreuse bells with an orange/green/camo green dot peanut and spin-n-glow.

Good luck to all and be safe,

Chris

post-141087-0-52712500-1373132381_thumb.jpg

post-141087-0-91832100-1373132448_thumb.jpg

Edited by momay4000

thanks for the heads up, maybe tomorrow  I'll do some laker fishing.

If the fleas are anything like they were off Oak Orchard we will be using fleaflicker.

Edited by rolmops

Nice report Chris...how were the fleas in the areas you worked?

Not a single  flea on any lines - must be they are out deep? Fishing 30# Big Game on the cowbells and nothing and nothing on the wires either.