DEC Regs changes

This highlights some proposed changes.  I thought it may be of interest to Musky fisherman.

Statewide Minimum size limit and season dates for muskellunge (2014_SW_01)

Description: Increase minimum size limit for muskellunge to 40 inches and move the season opener to the last Saturday in May.

Rationale: The current statewide season opener for muskellunge (3rd Saturday in June) is very late for the purposes of protecting spawning fish, as they typically spawn in April/early May in inland waters (water temps from 48 - 60 F). Moving the season opener to late May will provide additional opportunities for anglers while maintaining protection of spawning fish. Also, a review of muskellunge regulations in other states revealed that 20 of 24 states with muskellunge fisheries have year-round open seasons. Four northern latitude states (NY, MI, WI, MN) have restricted seasons and NY's current season opener is the latest among these. MI and WI openers are variable based on location and are from late April to late May. MN's opener is the first Saturday in June. The proposed change would make NY more consistent with these states.

Muskellunge are treasured for their large size and fighting ability, and are appropriately managed as a trophy sportfish. The current statewide minimum size limit of 30" is not consistent with this intent as muskellunge at this size are typically immature and not close to reaching their size potential in most waters. This has been recognized and addressed in many NY waters already. There are 33 waters in NY with muskellunge populations and 19 of these already have minimum size limits above 30", 18 of which are 40" or more. This proposal would bring more statewide consistency to muskellunge minimum size limits and add protection to allow muskellunge to increase their trophy potential in 14 waters.

Here is the link for the entire State:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/91959.html

Larry,

Looking at the proposed changes as written, there is nothing that indicates that the musky season will remain the same on the great lakes. Even in the great lakes section there is an item titled "Minimum size limit and season dates for muskellunge in Niagara River, Lake Ontario & St. Lawrence River (2014_GL_01)" but the following text does not mention anything about season dates. Do you think that was just an oversight?

I bet members of the NMA an the charter captains on the St. Lawrence will be contacting them about that.

Edited by muskiedreams

Steve, When you go to General Fishing Regulations for the seasons of the Niagara River it directs you to Great Lakes Regulations.Those Great Lakes Regulations for Muskies only have one change 54" through out the whole NY portion of the Great Lakes.So the change to last Saturday in May is only for Inland Waters Only!

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I read it as inland waters only as well.  I think the Southern tier rivers still open with walleye/pike but Waneta is one example where musky fisherman won't have to deal with as many bass fisherman starting 3 weeks earlier.

I also read that it looks like there are no more bodies of water in NY that still have a 30in min. 

I received an email from the DEC guys yesterday alerting me to the proposals. I asked for clarification with regards to whether the Great Lakes are included in the season dates changes and this was their response:

The title for the Great Lakes reg change consideration is wrong. We are not considering a season date change for Great Lakes waters, only a size limit change to 54" for Niagara River, Lake Ontario, and St. Lawrence River. Thanks for pointing that out - we're adjusting it right now.

So there you have it. NO change to GL dates. Look for an update to the proposals forthcoming

Everyone when you comment on the 40" Sizelimit ask for 42" for Waneta & Casadaga Lakes to match the sizelimit at Chautauqua Lake!

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by mostlymuskies