Decided to take my son and I out for a short 3hr trip, ahead of the cold front and see if we could mustard anything up.  Got out on the water about 5:45 and had a small overheating issue on the engine.  After shutting it down, taking a swim to check intakes, and firing it back up and the engine temp coming back down from 170 to 120-130ish, I concluded it must have picked up some debris and was now gone....so all good.

We set up in 150’ fow and headed north to 235’ and it was basically blank screen.  Ran riggers 80’ & 100’, two divers 180’ and 240’ back and a 4 color and 10 color for steelies. Since my temp probe is lying on the bottom Lake O, I had no down temps and speeds, so i was gonna fish the screen and judge speeds by blowback.   

I saw two small bait pods and one hook, and since the wind had started to pick up and I didn’t want to adventure any further offshore at that time of night, and with an engine I was still being mindful of, so we turned and decided to troll in and I was going to either grab lakers or change over to a brown program.    Good call. 

Got into 120’fow and picked up a 7lb laker on the dipsy White Pearl glow SD/ Blue Hammer Fly.  Trolled into 100 fow and I changed over my two riggers to all Stinger sized spoons and cheaters.  NBK, Yellow NBK, Frog, and a silver spoon with yellow and over laid green ladderback.  Don’t know the name of the spoon.  Anyways set riggers at 80 and 65….and we then took a small brown on the slider, which did manage to shake me about 10’ behind the boat.  Took another small brown on the main line down 65’ and then took a rip on the 4 color with fire frog spoon, but was gone in ~10 seconds.   Waves were rolling 3’ by then, and sun was setting, so we started to pull one line at a time when the 80 rigger took a rip.  I grapped it, set the hook and handed to Josh what I assumed would be a brown.  I felt a decent initial tug, but after handing him the rod and stepping back….the reel started to scream.  I looked at him and asked him if he backed the drag off and he said …. NO.  That’s when I knew the fish had laced up and this was a better fish than I originally guessed.  Took him from 70' to 140’ of line on that run pretty easily.  Josh did some give and take on him for a couple of minutes.  It made another run and I saw Josh back down on the drag a little bit, once it finished running.  But then it started to charge the boat….made a splash (not a jump) on the surface, turned sideways and was G O N E…gone!      But Josh being who he was, handed me the pole and said…..you lost it, with a smile.   What a kid that can take a loss like that and laugh.    Dont know what it ultimately was...given the warm inside waters and we were in 85fow, I have to believe it was a nice 10+lb brown.  Well, thats our story and were sticking to it.

To top it off as we came in, the sunset was brilliant colors of red and orange!   

Tight lines....

Jason

Edited by reelintense

hi jason,

I was fishing off pultneyville bass fishing.Saw you out there but it was to late for me as the front was coming through soon.Ever get into any trouble out there feel free to call me,blue dolphin ,.Im in the dockage on the north end of the club.P-12

john

The nice thing about being Captain is when a fish is lost it's your fault, but you can also take credit for every fish caught aboard!

Nick

hi jason,

I was fishing off pultneyville bass fishing.Saw you out there but it was to late for me as the front was coming through soon.Ever get into any trouble out there feel free to call me,blue dolphin ,.Im in the dockage on the north end of the club.P-12

john

Nice job Jason, John S. and I were out too but never made it too far.  Still having fuel issues, I believe but Pugsleys will do another once through to check it over.  Its getting frustrating.  

Fuel issues are so frustrating.  Had them on the outboard I had on my Grady....like anti-siphon valve.  All stupid stuff.  i gotta call John and Ben, and yourself and see if i can get you guys out for some fishing.

John,

I followed you into port on Tuesday, I was wondering who Blue Dolphin was...never put two and two together.  We should chat sometime about bass fishing as well, because the kids have been wanting some smallies as well, and its been a while for me as well.

Nick,  I credit half credit for the fish they catch....but i get FULL credit for the ones they lose!  What was fun about the evening was that the 3 footers that had whipped up, seemed paltry in comparison to the Pro-Am, that I was almost laughing at it.  Being my first year on the boat, I am still learning what it can or cant do.  It was fine out there in that water.....now if my son could just land him the fish I hand him, instead of hearing it was my fault for setting the hook wrong!!  :)

So after recording nearly every fish I caught last year (all five of them), I found out if I set the hook my drop ratio on riggers went up dramatically. Now I just reel down and try hard not to give a little tug...