Running a cheater with auto stop

Im wondering how one would run a cheater line when my big jon downrigger has the auot stop plug. Im thinking

I would have to watch and manualy stop it to remove the release or snap I use,anyone know a way around this. Thanks for all replies

Im wondering how one would run a cheater line when my big jon downrigger has the auot stop plug. Im thinking

I would have to watch and manualy stop it to remove the release or snap I use,anyone know a way around this. Thanks for all replies

Are you talking about a cheater or a stacking a second rod on the rigger? 

A cheater goes on the line of the rod, not the rigger cable, so that should be an issue.

If you are stacking a second rod, are you using a double pinch pad release like the Church or Scotty Stackers??  If so, just add a shower curtain ring (like off of a planer board release) to the smaller snap on the stacker release and that will easily slide right over any autostop bead, right down to the ball.

Tim

Hi

My thought was when I drop my ball into the water the stop bead will be 5 feet above that and if I attach a cheater line above that, that cheater second lure by means of  some type of release or clip that when the fish hits it, it will release but the release will still be attached and when I run the ball back up I don't want it to get hung up,or I could use a rubber band now that I think about it,or like you said a shower curtain clip will go down over the bead when coming up. I've seen on line where they use a snap lock hooked to the line with a four foot leader,I assume they didn't have a stop bead coming back at them. I will be using one rod so I guess it is what they call a cheater,I fish by my self a lot so thought it would give me some other chances.The three rod rule is in effect and them Coast Guard and others are out there all the time.

Edited by reillym

Im confused. You are talking about running a second rod off of one rigger or are you talking about running a cheater? If you are running cheaters/sliders you can let them free slide or you can half hitch it to your fishing line at your desired depth with a rubber band. As far as stacking a second rod goes. You can do it a bunch of ways they make double releases that attach right at the ball, they also make easy to attach releases like roemers for putting a second rod at a spaced distance but with a spaced out stack you gotta stop your riggers to get your release on the way up.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Exactly what was said above...

Cheaters only attach to your fishing line... not the downrigger cable.

If you are talking about adding a second rod, and therefore a second release, to your downrigger, then you either need to reset your auto stop bead, raise the ball manually or use a sliding release system that hopefully releases from the cable on its own when it hits the pulley and clears the auto stop bead as it slides down.

U can make a stacker release from a blacks release by removing the snap that attaches to the ball and threading it on to your rigger cable before terminating it. Then peg it to your cable by using a toothpick after you let your first line down to desired depth. When the stacker release hits the pulley on the way up it will slide down the cable

I stack 2 rods on one rigger a lot, use Scotty Downriggers with auto stop beads, I'll explain my set up, maybe it will give you a few ideas.

My auto stop bead is placed on the rigger cable 10 feet above the rigger weight, Blacks release at the bottom with weight clip, a second Blacks stacker release slides free on the cable between the ball and auto stop bead. I have a 2ft. piece of planer board line tied to the rigger boom with a loop the size of my hand on the hanging end.

Setting the rigger: With the weight out of the water, close the stacker release on the loop hanging from the line on the boom. This allows you to set the bottom rod and lower it leaving the stacker release hanging within easy reach.   Set the bottom rod and lower the rigger slowly, the rigger cable will slide through the stacker release as it hangs from the rigger boom.  Stop before the auto stop bead hits  the stacker release.   Set the top rod, loosten the reel drags a bit and lower the rigger. The load on the rod and the water pressure will pull the stacker release up against the bottom of the stop bead and hold it there.  Once the stacker release is tripped, it will slide down the cable to the ball. I always know the lures are exactly 10 feet apart. Move the stop bead if you want more distance between rods. Same set upon the probe rigger with coated cable.  The rigger weight is stopped 10 ft. below the surface, no banging around in the waves until I finnish raising manually.

I've been stacking rods like this for a few years now and it works very well once you get the hang of things.

Just my $0.02

Im confused. You are talking about running a second rod off of one rigger or are you talking about running a cheater? If you are running cheaters/sliders you can let them free slide or you can half hitch it to your fishing line at your desired depth with a rubber band. As far as stacking a second rod goes. You can do it a bunch of ways they make double releases that attach right at the ball, they also make easy to attach releases like roemers for putting a second rod at a spaced distance but with a spaced out stack you gotta stop your riggers to get your release on the way up.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hi, I guess I was getting my self confused at first but now understand the differance between the cheater and running

with a stacker,I was trying to get more presentation into the water since I can have only three rods in the water if Im fishing by myself, laws and the Coast Guard are thick out of Oswego,so If I run a cheater I can have two lures per rod on the down rigger and run a dipsey or lead core off the back,its hard for one guy to get set up and troll when the lake is choppy so a cheater for now is probally the best way.Thanks

Edited by reillym

Hi, I guess I was getting my self confused at first but now understand the differance between the cheater and running with a stacker,I was trying to get more presentation into the water since I can have only three rods in the water if Im fishing by myself, laws and the Coast Guard are thick out of Oswego,so If I run a cheater I can have two lures per rod on a down rigger and run a dipsey or lead core off the back,its hard for one guy to get set up and troll when the lake is choppy so a cheater for now is probally the best way.Thanks