Lead core question

Sorry, Got interrupted ... Early spring ....3 colors of core on an inline board (tx 22) with 30 feet or so of Fluorocarbon leader tied with a willis knot and a Dream weaver super slim leopard frog spoon equals this................ Boooollllyaaaahhhh!!!!post-150731-13753095521732_thumb.jpg

Full core, with various sized dive bombs off the big boards, have added fish to our day.

Matter of fact when we were out in Wilson on Memorial Day, one our largest fish came off that,

KOS spoon tied to a reverse eyeball man.

I never ran LC off boards, always just flatlined straight off the back, usually with a diver stickbait or sometimes a clean spoon. I never tried with a flasher, I imagine the extra drag would cause it to lose depth. Does my technique seem OK? I usually don't have boards with me in the summer. Wonder why I'm not hooking up much with it?

I guess a few questions might be in order:

1. Where are you fishing?

2. What are you trying to catch?

3. What lb test core and what type leader and length did you use?

4. Are you taking about the use of it right now in August?

General comment: leadcore is usually primarily used in the Spring and Fall especially when the fleas aren't present or active in the water column and it usually isn't the choice for deep water fishing (although possible using weights).

When the temp is up it is a good producer. You're looking at a depth of around 50 ft with a 10 color so if temp is down in the 90-100 ft range you have a small chance of doing anything on it- unless you find a fish or two out of temp (ie steelhead)

That's right. If you have to go with lead core it is possible to go deeper with it by using in line weights but you would need quite a bit to make a really significant difference. The most I've ever used with it is 8 ounces and that made it drag tremendously. The weight will make a little better difference with the 18 lb core than the 27 and especially the 45 (which few people use anymore) because of less line resistance. Another thing to consider is that there are very strong currents out there right now for whatever reason and this will negate  much of the sinking ability of leadcore. The blow back on the downriggers the day before yesterday was considerable from the current so lighter weight will be struggling to go deeper.  The kings are probably much too deep for leadcore right now but as  already mentioned steelies might be possible if you can get down to them.