Dexter salmon regs question

Wondering if anyone could clear up a question for me. When the salmon start running the rivers heavy Ive had a blast anchoring the boat by the bridge in Dexter and dropping the riggers down in the current to bottom with F.latfish and J-Plugs. Night fishing is permitted from the bridge out to the lake and its a fun way to get some late season kings into the boat. My question is whether or not I need to change out the trebles to single hooks. I have read the regulation book but call me dumb as Im not sure if the single hook rule applies from the bridge to the lake. Lots of guys are trolling around by the launch and they look to be using trebles on their plugs. Thanks for clearing things up, just trying to go by the book!

Unless the 2013-2014 regs saw a change they read that anywhere above the first island you are in special regs no trebles. I have seen some tickets written for using jigs in the spring and have been warned personally but have seen limited enforcement and I believe that DEC officers are as confused then anyone. In theory there are the regs from the islands to the bridge and a seperate set above the bridge. It seems like the officers that make it up are busy enough writing tickets to guys with no clue you cant use crickets and fish the power station at night/ put the salmon on a rope u just dragged in ass first/ etc etc

Single hooks on floating lures are only required on the Salmon River.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Trebles above the bridge will get you a ticket in a heart beat. Special Tributary regs apply to other regions then the salmon river.

Great info guys. I dont go past the bridge in Dexter as its to shallow for my Islander. Just launch it and motor out 100 yards and drop anchor. Just a lazy and relaxing way to spend the day with my boy. Watching fish come out of the water all around the boat keeps him pretty pumped up!

Trebles above the bridge will get you a ticket in a heart beat. Special Tributary regs apply to other regions then the salmon river.

You might want to read the reg book. Here is a picture of this section for you. The Black River is not in Oswego or Cayuga county and there does not require single hooks out floating lures. You can fish with trebles on a floating lure anywhere on the Black.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-152629-13786038477794_thumb.jpg

correct!  floating lures with trebles are permitted with some restriction on distance of point from lure body and must be free swinging.  above or below bridge

You can use any lure made out there with only one requirement the triple hooks are not to exceed 1/2" from the barb to the shank, measuring strait across. That came right out of the mouth of the fish com. which had two younger people on board, guy and a younger lady. I have a camper in the BRCG. Go up under the bridge in the center you should of noticed a deep hole 30ft deep, mark the top and go 40ft above hole and anchor up let out 40ft of line with a size 3 J plug and lower rigger ball down till 18" off the bottom when they come out of the hole from their rest your lure is right in their face and WHAM GOTCH YA, sometimes there is a drift boat there but he usually favors the pier towards the camp site and usually fishes an hour before dark till 9pm or so, so there is plenty of room for the both of you, he uses a huge split back lure bright orange. I met a guy named Roland up there and he swears that, get the biggest flat fish you can find, he uses natural colors, I kept this under my hat for years, I use a spinner bait the biggest brightest color I can find, you have to fish the spinner bait close to the ball or it will settle to the bottom if the currant is really fast, I fish it 18" from the ball about 2ft. off the bottom it out fished the guide, the flat fish, this set up works. It's easy fishing. If you have another rigger run a flat fish near the bottom and a stacker with a J plug near the surface. I caught a few in my time with this set up. PAP.

• 2 years later...

Thanks pap!

This is good information I will have to try the j-plugs and flatfish lures I have to see if I can catch one of those in the river. It may be a challenge this year with the new bridge construction taking up some of the channel maybe?? I am curious if using the regular flashers and spoons will work also as you would normally out on the main lake?