Canandaigua 9-6-13 AM

Sk8man

I met Woody Boater (Dave) at the north end launch ramp at 6:30 AM. He normally had fished Lake O at Sandy creek and also Conesus but hadn't experienced Canandaigua so we gave it a try  for rainbows and browns and toured the lake a bit so he'd have some landmarks for next time when he brings his boat here.  We started out at the pump house after taking some temp readings and found the thermocline was running from 40-65 ft down. We set one rigger with spoon and slider at 60 ft. and the other at 50 ft with slider as well as two dipsey off outriggers with spoons and a wire rig dipsey with mountain dew Spinny and white fly and a braid rig dipsey with purple and black flasher and green fly.  We trolled the west side to Danny's ex's place and the starboard side rigger  (60ft) fired and immediately a nice bow jumped in the air and took line. He did this 4 times before Dave skillfully guided him up the middle and into the net. It was a 5 1/2 to 6 lb bow and he came on one of the sk8's " nail polish" enhanced" lures on the main line :)  ( no competition for Bob Fuller but they work) :lol: We trolled further up the west side and had another smaller rainbow on the downrigger and he was released unharmed without bringing him into the boat. Trolled on to just south of Danny's place and went southeast.... nothing....pulled up everything and started to put out first Seth Green and after the second spoon the rig line parted company  because of previous unnoticed frayed line and sinker and spoons went to bottom as donation to the fish Gods (not the first time either) :( . Started to set out jug rig  and small rainbow hit the first leader I put out  before I could load the second one so we released him and then put out one side rig and wire rig again and trolled

north .....drag fired on the jug and when hauled in small rainbow...released unharmed.  Had a couple brief "short hits" on wire rig and then had the drag go out on the jug rig just prior to quitting around 12:30 but nobody home when we retrieved it.  Didn't mark much along the way in terms of fish or bait but the fish we did mark were at about the 50-55ft mark. Here is Dave with his fish for the grill:

It was a lot of fun and beautiful day and we both agreed that is what it is all about having all this in our "backyard" at our leisure and without driving for hours.

P.S. I forgot to mention that the fleas were really bad.

post-145411-0-19897600-1378491818_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Basically it is a Seth Green (also called "thermocline" rig....a multi leader/lure rod and reel system often 5 lures at a time)  and the "jug" is a float that gets the main line and leaders out and away from the boat. Some folks use a milk jug (plastic bottle) as the float hence the name "jug rig". Hope this helps.

Edited by Sk8man

Nice fatty fish Les !!! WTG !!!

I won't tell Bobby how your pushing you girly-girl spoons............. :lol:

Lol... :D:D..... Great job guys and thanks for the report will be headed over there in a month for a tournament. .. My favorite finger lake for sure...

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Iron Duke

Hope you're off for the weekend Frogger (Mike) It is one of the benefits of retirement to be able to pick your days..just ask Mike C. :)

Iron Duke (Mike)....send me a PM before the tournament and if I know any info I'llpass it on to you. Les

Dave you're very welcome...it was my pleasure.

Edited by Sk8man

My hunch is that it is a "club" members tournament for the guys at the south end of Seneca and  I presume elsewhere nearby there (Finger Lakes Trollers maybe???)

Edited by Sk8man