Otisco 10/10

315angler

Went out tonight for only about an hour and a half. Lot of alewives around, but no eyes. Think it could have been a good night if I had more time.

HEY, the main thing is you were there and most of all not afraid to post a skunk! we all been there,

Keep your head up Otisco is not easy! Look at some of my old posts... Ive fished a 40 hour weekend there for just a bite or 2. Ill admit in the beginning I was less apt to post when I got skunked, but back then I was alone posting about Otisco, and I wasn't getting ANY feedback. I hope you are fishing all up and down the causeway both sides as the "cut" isn't the only spot. I Know of 1 monster caught on the pond side this year so be sure to give it a chance. What lures have you tried so far and in what colors?

justin

I been out 5 times 2 fish one pond side one main lake. Husky jerks gold clear fire tiger silver, challengers in silver or gold, and rattling rogues. Got a bunch in the spring, usually do oneida in fall but lately have the itch to get a big one instead of numbera

Try some floaters too...Im 100% sold on the F18s in black and silver, but my goto fall trolling color is gold.  I ordered a couple gold f18s but they aren't in yet.  You can try the rip rap north of the marina and the park too.  Its been a little slow last trip or two for us also, but the best is yet to come.

justin

Anyone know if you can access the causeway on the East side?  It looks like there is room to park just on the side of the road, but everything I read online only talks about the access point on the west side.  Coming from Syracuse area, i'm thinking of trying out the east side of the lake to save some driving time not having to drive around to the West side.

The best way to fish the east side is the rip rap along the road above the marina or make a trip down midday and knock on some doors and ask permission. I ALWAYS bring Tracy or a younger child to ask. People want to see family oriented activities and often will give permission easier for you to fish with family rather than your buddy. Offer a portion of your catch and if you get into fish buy a little gift to say thank you. I have spots where I do this for hunting and fishing. Don't go ask at 8 at night with your fishing gear in hand...plan it out and do the work you might be surprised. If they say no be polite and check next year. I have a coyote hunting spot I love that took me 3 years of polite trips to visit before they gave me permission. Do your homework and get creative...ive seen guys carry a ladder to cross the cut in the causeway...not sure if that portion of the causeway is private but worth some research. Or get a boat....

justin

I've got the boat but haven't ventured to otisco at all. All my time is spent at Oneida catching dinks compared to otisco. Is the marina pretty much the only launch? Is the parking decent? Looks like there isn't much parking . Also any idea how late into the season that launch is open? Thanks

There is also a launch at the campground that has better parking and its a bit safer as its not on top of the road, but Ive used both.  I keep my boat at the campground on a slip as I stay on the weekend all summer.  Im not sure how late either is open.. 

justin