Seneca Perch

Thinking about getting the boat out early this year and going after some of those Jumbo perch on Seneca for the first time I could really use some tips!! I am thinking glass factory bay will be my main focus because I have heard so much about it and it is the closest for me! So if you can enlighten me on what depth and what bait it will be vary appreciated and probably save me hours of searching.

Well I guess its true then I have heard the only way to find the perch is to bring 12X binoculars find a boat that’s catching fish and tie off to their bow. But I am not one of them guys so I guess ill figure it out The old fashion way by trial and error

Your right about the tight lipped perch fisherman on Seneca. I usually make it up a few times in March myself. I will tell you what I know. I usually go out of Lodi point. You dont usually have to go far to get into them from there. Just North of the launch about 200 yards is a small bay that usually produces good perch. Look for a transition from mud to a subtle weed line in around 10-18 feet of water. I have also had good luck just to the south of the launch about the same distance and depth. I like to use small teardrop shaped jigs in purple,yellow, chartruese, pink and brown. The jigs I use are hard to find and have hair that corresponds with the head color. I tip them with good sized fat head minnows and work them just off of the bottom. I like to slow drift fish or electric motor around a bit until I find good sized perch (10-14") Once you get a couple good ones, anchor very quietly above them (they are easily spooked by the anchor and such) within casting distance. If you get into them, stay with the school, fish fast. You will be amazed at how close some of those lazy sob's will come to you to catch fish. I have also launched out of Severne point which is just about across the lake from lodi. I dont have any other real honey holes to let you in on. If I get up there in March I will post any info when I return. Be careful, that lake can get nasty.

I've never fished for the Spring perch on Seneca but I may try my luck as well this year. I've heard the north end is usually pretty good also....right in front of high banks and off 1 mile point....there are a couple shallow marker bouys there...I have heard guys doing well there also.

Seasquirell,

I have a buddy w/ a cottage just north of lodi and watches the guys catch fish there. Where do you put your weight on and how far behind the mainline is your teardrop?

Also try dragging 2" plastics above a heavy sinker. I know a couple guys that do well w/ that.

I'm no expert, but the fish seem to be deeper/further south early, then move North as April approaches. We've done well off the lee side of points in the current break; the steeper the dropoff, the better. In March last year we caught our biggest perch in 18-23 fow on the flats dragging plastics rigged Carolina style, but not as many as on the drops. The guys who perenially place high in the Perchmaster seem to like the plastics, too...they're not really perch when they hit two pounds, more like smallmouth. Our top five fish weight was 8.4 lbs last year, only it came a week before the derby. Of course, the winning weight was over 9.5, so it wouldn't have mattered...

I've heard that teardrops work, but how do you get them down with no weight?

Gator

The lead teardrops I use are really hard to find. They are really small but fairly fat and relatively heavy. I am not even sure of what weight they are. I would say about four times the weight of a small ice fishing jig. I know if it is windy I am screwed and have to change tactics. I will try to post a picture of one. Maybe someone will know of another place to get them.

We make the drive up to go "perch searchin'" a few times each spring (while walleye is closed). We've done decent at the south end, but our best catches have been at the north end. We normally launch out of Roy's on the west side (about five miles south of Geneva... just below Glass Factory Bay). We generally hit the two bays just south of the marina.. targeting the 15 to 25' depths. If that doesn't work out.. we shoot straight across to the east side and try the shallower weed shelves. We don't always find them, but we have a pretty good batting average. I like to slow drift with a fathead tipped 1/16 or 1/32oz. bucktail. Once we find them.. we anchor and try to stay on them. As previously mentioned.. the perch guys are a pretty tight lipped bunch unfortunately. It's a long haul for us.. especially if the bites been off. I'll post my results if and when we get up there. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

I dont know about you guys but now that preseason bass fishing is an option on most of the finger lakes, try throwing a large jerk bait (HJ 10 or 12 in tennesee shad color), after ice out with a jerk jerk pause (10seconds) and repeat along weed beds and any shoreline structure. You might catch five or maybe fifteen in a day but they will all be monsters. I am after the bass but we have filled a livewell on several occasions with big perch. If you caught one or two in a certain area on the jerk bait and then went back with a traditional perch rig i bet you would slay them because they are usually a schooling fish of the same year class. Just an observation on keuka for what it is worth.

Tight lines,

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

What kind of plastic are u guys referring to? I myself have caught them on small Mr. Twisters and the 3inch sinkos but have yet to try them on Seneca. I plan on using a spinner rig with float beads #6 bait holder hooks on a 30inch 4lb fluorocarbon with a swivel and Texas rig slide sinker tipped with emerald shiners! This is experimental homemade rig please let me know what you think!!!!!!!!

My rigs are similar to these northland rigs!! ///Single hooks and smaller blades

spinrig.jpg

I might be putting a little to much thought in to this after all they are just perch!!!! but I want to be as proficient as possible and land some slobs

• 3 weeks later...