Otisco, hows the ice fishing?

floatfisher

Just looking for new water to explore this winter and with all the talk about Otisco and the big walleyes it got me thinking.  Since I fish with the kids most of the time and it is a 1.5-2 hour drive for me to get there I probably wont get over there but I was wondering what the ice fishing was like.  I am sure, just like the other lakes there is a good panfish population along with Muskies, and bass.  What else could you target?  Does the ice get safe on this lake most years?  Any access points?

This may not be the place to post this but I thought I would try. 

Thanks for any help.

Down at the north end ....everyone parks along the guardrail by the dam.... this area out to the "narrows" is fishable all season every year typically.

THOUSANDS of gills , and crappies is typically the bounty. I have got into some perch there as well...but the majority is gills. You coulld have kids catchin fish for hours! Alot pf people setup tipups for tigers down there and get alot of bass doin so as well.

Once the main lake freezes over, we starting using the county park on the east side and go straight out from there which is around 15-20 and north it gets shallow and weedier and typically we find the perch and have tigers keep us busy all day long. Also we park down at the otisco lake marina by the causeway and go out. Guys also get into catchin browns on tipups early am ON the west shore.

The north end of Otisco is typically one of the first places in CNY with fishable ice. Its very wind/ wave protected and avg around 7ft. There  is a channel that gets to about 12 ish .

WALLEYES ARE A DIFFERENT DEAL ALTOGETHER. Nobody I know of is successful at it, but I am gonna try to find somebody who is! :yes:

Tim

Tim I couldnt of explained it any better.  I personally stay away from the damn cause I hate a crowd but if your bringing kids and want to catch fish you will want to fish there.  I usually fish off the marina at the causeway which consists of alot of down time with the occasional tiger musky. I do know they caught one big walley there last year but that was it.  Tim lets plan on getting together this winter and figuring out how/if we can catch those walleyes. 

Brent

Yeah I talked to the guy that caught the walleye a nice brown and tiger all the same day ..otisco slam!

I think i'll have more zero fish days this year than catchin pannies down at the damn if I can stay away from them they are fun and tasty but my freezer is in good shape so I think Ill put a better effort in figuring out the walleyes...

gotta make up my mind that I have to be willing to have a quiet season if im gonna put the work in to finding them walleyes!

we'll hook up for sure if ya wanna put a serious effort in!

Tim

Hey Tim - I don't know whether you have/use a camera for ice fishing but I know on Honeoye I was making the assumption that there weren't any Walleyes around while jigging etc. because of lack of results but guys nearby had a camera and were seeing them come right up to their jigs and look at the bait and jig then swim away. I was seeing stuff on my Vexilar zoom and thinking they were bass because of the size of the mark and catching largemouths once in awhile....made me rethink things... maybe different jigs, baits etc. to try an entice them...They seem very lethargic in the winter.. Moral of the story: "Don't think that they aren't there just because of lack of hits" :lol:  Les

Hey Tim - I don't know whether you have/use a camera for ice fishing but I know on Honeoye I was making the assumption that there weren't any Walleyes around while jigging etc. because of lack of results but guys nearby had a camera and were seeing them come right up to their jigs and look at the bait and jig then swim away. I was seeing stuff on my Vexilar zoom and thinking they were bass because of the size of the mark and catching largemouths once in awhile....made me rethink things... maybe different jigs, baits etc. to try an entice them...They seem very lethargic in the winter.. Moral of the story: "Don't think that they aren't there just because of lack of hits" :lol:  Les

Might be a good time to try out some of Kishelscents on a jigging lure of some sort. I have been messing around with fish scents when fishing for walleye, when trolling with dead baits. JT has mentioned about using the gulp juice to add a little spice to trolling lures, just a thought. 

Yes Pap... it can make a difference I've been using my own combination of crawfish and shad scent on my jigs for years....it can make a difference when they are reluctant biters.

Justin ...could be even worse....what  if your fly was down while lying there looking down the hole for them :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Hey Les, using a cam is exactly what I have planned for finding the walleye this year... I have a hummingbird ICE 35 and the father in law has a camera so hopefully I can find them.. Then the hard part of getting them to hit begins but it doesnt matter what I use if Im not fishing where the fish are...

Brent

Good point Brent. I think you may be amazed at what you'll find from the recent results you guys had trolling. There must be some real monsters in there. Sometimes ithelps to experiment once you find them with various jig sizes but the jigging Rapala in the perch color small/medium has always been good. They also seem to like things horizontal rather than vertical and the hook tip have to be covered for sure. I've watched them (in clear water through the hole) "test" the bait by gently mouthing and you couldn't even see or feel the line move :) And don't be too surprised if you find them in much shallower than you might think....especially early and late in the season.

Edited by Sk8man