The Ultimate App for Marine Navigation

Patriot

Not sure if anyone saw this but....

http://app.nobeltec.com/

I took a good look at the website and my daughters have a ipad with the gps works in it, I'm going to call apple and see if I can get any detailed info about depth contours and what it actually covers, they claim it covers the great lakes. I find it hard to believe that for $50.00 you would be getting the info that a $600.00 outfit would do, but hey who knows if this really is something that would mean my depth probe will be on my Xmas list LOL.,m

Hard to beat  the Navionics App for $15 bucks.  Turned my iPhone into a fully functional chart plotted if need be, and the maps are great.  The contours at the Niagara Bar are amazing.

Tim

Thanks Tim, I couldn't believe the detail in the maps they had for examples, if this is the case that's the way I'm going to fly. On a full charge the girls ipads last 10hrs, from messing around on the sample page it looks sweet, and with the gps system in the ipad I'll have ground speed, plus I have an Lowarnce H2O with the Clayton to Stoney chip in it, but no depth contours. I almost forgot they have car chargers for them also, so no sweat there I'll just plug them in if need be.

Install a 12 volt power outlet now, better yet get two for the cell phone and I Pad.

I have a gang plug set up now, so I'm set if the app is anything. I have a uncle that smokes like a chimney no cigarettes and you are in his boat, the day comes to a halt till we have more cigs. So on my boat I have the actual lighter type and just power ports, cause one time his lighter failed, and in the cuddy I have a few packs that he smokes vacuum packed so they don't do what ever they do when they get old, I heard him **** about " these been laying around since Noah landed" He's a great guy but can be a pain in the a$$ with his smoking. It's seldom that this happens but need to be prepared.

I did this when we went to the Bahamas and rented a boat, as the boats don't come with GPS (to discourage just ripping around and ignoring your eyes...which is a great way to breach the hull on a reef). 

There's a couple of things to note. First, unless you have a 3G enabled iPad, you won't have GPS, at least with the early models. It's worth checking. If you don't have GPS, you can get a cheap Bluetooth-enabled GPS receiver for $60 and connect it to the iPad. Second, an iPad isn't waterproof...but it will work in a plastic bag. Third, the GPS ping rate can be much slower than GPS units that are made for this purpose. Hence, the updates may not be as quick or accurate...not sure how much of a difference this may make when traveling at speed.

In short, it works, but it's not without caveats and drawbacks. I much, much prefer my stand-alone GPS and only resort to the iPad when there's no other option. And for planning purposes, you can't beat paper maps. Too much information gets lost in electronic format unless you're zoomed in, and then you lose the big picture...phenomenal cosmic powers, itty bitty living space  :rofl:

I did this when we went to the Bahamas and rented a boat, as the boats don't come with GPS (to discourage just ripping around and ignoring your eyes...which is a great way to breach the hull on a reef). 

There's a couple of things to note. First, unless you have a 3G enabled iPad, you won't have GPS, at least with the early models. It's worth checking. If you don't have GPS, you can get a cheap Bluetooth-enabled GPS receiver for $60 and connect it to the iPad. Second, an iPad isn't waterproof...but it will work in a plastic bag. Third, the GPS ping rate can be much slower than GPS units that are made for this purpose. Hence, the updates may not be as quick or accurate...not sure how much of a difference this may make when traveling at speed.

In short, it works, but it's not without caveats and drawbacks. I much, much prefer my stand-alone GPS and only resort to the iPad when there's no other option. And for planning purposes, you can't beat paper maps. Too much information gets lost in electronic format unless you're zoomed in, and then you lose the big picture...phenomenal cosmic powers, itty bitty living space  :rofl:

Yea your absolutely correct!! I knew it sounded to good to be true, I spent most of the morning going over different maps and apps, there's a reason they make real GPS units a lot of the functions that are necessary the apps just simply doesn't do, so back to the drawing board, looking really hard at the Garmin units. Cabelas is having a electronics sale so see what Santa can afford this year LOL.