Would your insurance agent believe you? Video your gear.

That's a real good idea, maybe the camera will see some things we might over look, since were so used to looking at our boats, example(fire extinguisher) and like in the video, battery charger, do the video and put the disk or tape in the fire proof safe box in the house, Thanks for the heads up!!

This method resulted in a $9000 insurance claim payout for me when my boat storage shed was emptied several years back. Some items were recovered and the photo evidence I provided to the police helped them identify the items in the thief's possession and resulted in his arrest and 3 year sentence in state prison. This stopped a neighborhood crime spree as he was in the process of relocating to a different part of the city. My insurance company paid the claim as soon as they received the evidence provided to the police and I gave an itemized list of stolen property.  

The time I spent to record my possessions was minimal. Everyone should do this! As pointed out in the video, a single box of lures easily costs well over $100 + the box. What would it cost you to replace a rod/reel combo? Fishermen have a lot invested in gear, accumulated over time, and are most likely unaware of the total value. Even those who don't have a lot of tackle will be surprised.

I know videos are nice and it is a little more work but still photos of the objects can be easier to deal with when you are trying to itemize and also if you only need to supply part of the photos to validate a claim. It also pays to make copies (e.g. a flash drive) and locate it with a friend or relative outside your home (in case of fire) In fact this is something that is desirable to do with everything in your household.

fantastic idea just gotta make sure the wife doesnt see the video and find out what it all really costs she always conviently forgets about the collected over a lifetime part.  might be fun to start a thread here to post the vidoes to compare collections help pass the time till sping