Sodus

ryonybony

Took my first two ice fishing trips with my son last weekend and today. Fished a few hours and got a handful of perch near arneys. Dropped a few large shiners for some pike, but no takers. Saw a lot of people off the point. Is that the pike area? Any tips for a newbie...ill take them. I have to admit, ice fishing is a lot more fun than I expected. ..im hooked.

For tip ups I run 30 lb cloth braided line then barrel swivel with 10 mono on it with two small (the size up from bb's spilt shot) and size 8-12 trebil hooks. As for bait use bass/walleye minnows (med minnows) and pike minnows (large). And I run them off the bottom 18 to 24 inches. If that will help

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Try setting your tipups higher. Predators feed up so u don't want to fish under them. I usually vary the depths until the fish show me where they like it. I also use hole covers to keep the light from shining in through the hole and it keeps the hole from freezing. Good luck

Although there are weed beds and some pike over in that area. near Arney's and the launch ramp to the north of it , historically there have been some real nice pike taken off Thornton Point (to the right and east of Arney's 10 -20 ft of water) and mainly out straight toward the middle area out from  Bay Bridge at the south end of the bay and in between Newark and Eagle Islands at the outer edge of the weeds where it drops off.

Edited by Sk8man

ryonybony......you can easily walk out from the third creek area into sawmill cove from Shaker Tract rd. Google up a topo map and see where water drops off into 18fow or so and place rigs (tip ups, jigging or whatever U have) to cover some area from shallower to deeper. That cove closer to the shallower flat near shore always gets pike in spring. More pike may rove along near the deeper areas midwinter, especially near the bottom. Pike can be run into all over the bay in search of food, but they do like slightly more deeper flats than in spring. They r in shallower at early springtime for spawning reasons.....

I have to learn all of these names! I spent an hour this morning planning it out and looking at the map only to have my kids wake up with a cough. Might have to wait until next weekend to go after them. Thanks for all the info guys. Ill let you know if i get any and post some pics.