Adding kicker

I'd like to add a kicker , question being can you add a shorter shaft using the spring loaded pull up mount? I believe they have like 16 inches of travel up and down where as a stationary trim unit would require a longer unit so the motor head would clear transom when it is tilted. So to me it looks like I need 25 inch for stationary and a 20 for spring loaded mount. Any way you look at it, the most available motors are 20 inch shafts.

I'd like to add a kicker , question being can you add a shorter shaft using the spring loaded pull up mount? I believe they have like 16 inches of travel up and down where as a stationary trim unit would require a longer unit so the motor head would clear transom when it is tilted. So to me it looks like I need 25 inch for stationary and a 20 for spring loaded mount. Any way you look at it, the most available motors are 20 inch shafts.

I used a adjustable kicker bracket on my 18fter and needed a 20" shaft motor, the reason for the longer shaft was in order to keep the motor above the waves and to keep it up far enough so when you pull it up and tilt it forward so the lower unit and the prop isn't dragging in the water, I tried a 15" shaft and in order to keep the prop in the water I had to set the motor to deep in the water and on a choppy day the waves washed over the motor cover, so I went with a 20" shaft and problem solved.

Thanks, figured 15 was too short, I have a 25 inch 5 hp on my 17fter that bolts right to the transom but I don't think it will push the 20ft grady worth a crap. I've read that the spring loaded units don't take trailering and bouncing well either. I really want a 9.9 with trim and electric start on a stationary mount but that's tough to find used for a decent price.

Thanks, figured 15 was too short, I have a 25 inch 5 hp on my 17fter that bolts right to the transom but I don't think it will push the 20ft grady worth a crap. I've read that the spring loaded units don't take trailering and bouncing well either. I really want a 9.9 with trim and electric start on a stationary mount but that's tough to find used for a decent price.

I never trailered my kickers even on the solid mount brackets. It only takes a few minutes to hang the kicker on the bracket and hook up the fuel line and the EZ-Steer and like Long line said put a safety cable on the kicker to the corner D shaped hold down. I know of 2 kickers on the bottom of lakeO and was on the boat the one did the deep six!! I told Roland "you better safety cable that kicker" aahh where's in going to go, well I guess he found out, it hung on the fuel line for a while, but not long enough for me to grab the motor, all I needed was another 30 seconds or for him to listen to me and safety chain the motor!! Good luck in what ever direction you chose to go. PAP.