Finally figured out why spring hasn't shown up yet........

Frogger

We'll I broke down this weekend and tore into my transom on my Sea nymph GLS 195. After seeing some dis colored water coming from the drain (reddish) this fall I was getting worried that the wood was shot and there might be some intrusion of water. After lifting off the motor and pulling the cap, low behold, a rotted transom. We'll after a day of using crow bar and chainsaw it's out. I could also see where corrosion has started on the inside skin probably from the effects of using treated plywood when they made the boat. Any way this is what I expected so no surprises. Next steps will be to clean the skins, JB weld the spots and decide whether to use wood epoxied or a Seacast pour. I'll keep ya posted, warm days should be coming our way now that I finally dug into this. post-150509-1393813850507_thumb.jpgpost-150509-1393813868851_thumb.jpgpost-150509-13938138850419_thumb.jpgpost-150509-13938139272959_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Sorry to hear it Mike but real good thing you discovered now in the downtime and before something happened. Good luck with things bud.  Les

Thanks Les, Im glad I had the urge to dig into it now rather than later, Wasnt all that bad really getting at it, motor was a little heavier than I thought or im getting older, but I can tell you putting a chainsaw in the back of the boat was something I wasnt ready for but worked like a charm.  Roughrider, if you dont mind Ill pm ya on the Seacast.  Ive been going around and ready to order it from them.  Would be good to get some tips from ya if your up to it.  I think SeaNymph along with some other boat manufacturers didnt know the ramifications of using PT wood even though they advertised 10Yr hull warranty.  Oh well.  The Seastar hydraulic system is on the way then the EV100 auto pilot.  Cant wait to be out setting lines......

• 1 month later...

Well it's been roughly a month on this Transom project. Put it back together, riveted it and It's time for paint. Brought it to the paint shop this morning. Can't wait for it to be done, hook up the new steering, few drain plugs and we should be set. Proud to say this will be my last transom project. Lol. All in all glad it's near completion. Now it's time to clean out my mess in the garage.

post-150509-13967971524957_thumb.jpg

Good going Mike. Certainly not a project for the weak of heart :)  The Admiral is right in the midst of doing his Penn Yan right now...and I know you guys have had your hands full....not everyone would tackle it but when you have a boat that you know so well etc. it pays to put the time and energy into it (let alone the price of these new boats). Congrats! My hat is off to you. Best of luck with it and with fishing this season. Les

Well, boat is ready for water, finally, overall two month project, we'll put her in tomorrow for water test and see how the hull handles.....

post-150509-13974280740046_thumb.jpg

Back from the painter, he did great.

post-150509-13974281149263_thumb.jpg

Boat rigged and ready.

post-150509-13974281582309_thumb.jpg

The wind was 20 mph out of the SW here yesterday Mike so I opted out for light yard work....now I'm wishing I'd gone anyway :lol:  Waiting for a trolling motor tune up on wednesday. It will be tough to decide whether to fish for perch/crappies or go for the trout....decisions decisions :)