Walleye-trolling with sliders?

Hi, I've done some trolling for Walleye's on Oneida lake but have never used "sliders"? Ive read a thread on this for salmon and since Im out on the Lake alone sometimes and would like to have more options in the water, I'm wondering if anyone has tried this and how??

thanks - Mark

Hi Mark.....I've tried sliders on Oneida without much success. I thought that they would pick up some of those suspended fish. I really never gave it enough water time to tell if it was a waste of time or not. I only used spoons for the sliders though.

I'd say go for it. Can't hurt. Just might get some tangles if your running sticks on the sliders.

Walleye & perch are mostly bottom dwellers but there are times when they suspend. Throw out the sliders (or fixed 5' or 6' up the line) when you see them on the screen.

Ever try running dodger/fly for eye's?

thanks for the reply ... No --- most of my fishing up to now has been spring jigging and my wife uses bottm bouncers -- then waders once I put the boat away in the late fall. I'm just starting to get the boat set up and my tackle together to hit lake O --- you've done this on Oneida are are you talking Ontario with the doder fly combo??

--- you've done this on Oneida are are you talking Ontario with the doder fly combo??

Oneida lake is were I usually fish for walleye. Ran the size 00 (6") dodger with some results. Problem is that I did it a couple times when the bite was off and we weren't catching eye's on the regular stuff. Best day for me with flies was 7 eye's,...4 on flies and 3 on plugs (we won't talk about the days I didn't catch anything on the flies :$ ). Ran plugs on one rigger and dodger/fly on the other just to see how one would compare with the other. It was one of those "I told ya they'd work" competitions with my brother. I'm not advocating that you set up for that. Just something to play with if you get bored.

If your going to troll for eye's on Oneida I would say the first piece of equipment to have is a dipsey diver set up. Hands down dipsey's will take more eye's than riggers. Riggers will have their days when they are hot but dipseys will out fish riggers on Oneida most days ;). When your fishing alone try one rigger and one dipsey and see which one starts taking the most hits and then switch both to the better one.

You can use either size dipseys, the 0 or 1. Braided line works great, but if your dipseys are setup with wire for Ontario use them. Wire works just fine also. I like the small dipsey with braided line. Not so much hardware to interfere with the lighter fighting walleye.

Thanks --- hope to do more trolling this year -- my boat is docked at Fremac in Lakeport. Once the jigging season slows down, I hope to trailer up to Lake O and start my rookie initiation on the big boys. But its nice after wrok to get out on Oneida and troll for a few hours or if I can't make a day of it go after them in the morning ... I mostly stay form mid-lake - shackelton point down to sylvan beach. done know much about the west end of the lake and the fishing ahs been great the last few years on the east end. we'll have to stay in touch when were on the water and keep tabs on each other. You trailer all the way up from Binghamton??

Have you guys tried using in line planner boards, or big boards yet?

I fish on Lake Erie, and those will out produce dipseys hands down on some days.

I like to run a variety of spoons, stick baits, and harnesses from the boards with jet divers, or run smaller dipseys, with rubber bands also.

And I agree, dipsey's will out fish riggers all day long.

I have dabbled with them but not a lot. I hope that once July rolls around I'll be burning gas :( trailering up to Oswego. When jigging on Oneida stops being productive, after a bad day at work and not enough time to get to Lake O, I like to get out on Oneida with a beer and a cigar and troll. I usually only have two rods in the water or once in awhile if my wife is on board (but the cigars have to stay home :( ) I can run 4 rods ... hmmmm two rods and a cigar or 4 rods and the wife .. :?

Anyway ... thats why I was thinking about sliders or stackers - just to have a coupel of more options in the water.

thanks for the input and good luck on the water this year. Call name is Yankee Clipper if your on the lake and need fishing report ... usually fish from Fremac east to Sylvan beach......... Mark

IMG_0476-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

usin 2 poles so you can have a gar;1pole has a 3way2oz of lead on the dropper than a j11 rap with the tail treble removed,tie 6ft of line to the tail than your dixie -worm.on the other poler un a three way with 3oz of lead on the drop and a j5-7 rap.you cover both food groups and its easy enough to switch when the fish tell you what they want.if you launch @fremacshead towards larkin and troll out till you find the 40fow hole.go around the hole until you find the eyes.if you need company to smoke a gar eme.i grew up in lakeport and would enjoy fishin with yea.and so long 4 now;john

I like to fish the deep water once the summer starts. I'll target the 30-40ft waters. If I notice fish on my sonar that are suspended in the 18-30 range then my spread, (if there are 2 of us on the boat) I'll run the 600 series reef runners off of inline offshore boards. This will target the suspended fish. I take more fish like this than any other presentation. With my other 2 rods I'll usually target the fish near bottom with bouncers and spinners.. 3oz's of lead then 6ft worth of spinner with floats.

I'f the suspended fish are more active then I will go away from the bottom rigs. I'll do one of a couple things. I'll either put a couple more stickbaits off 2 more boards or I'll drop some leadcore down with a 500 series rr on it.

If the bottom is producing well then I will put my bottom bouncing rigs on the boards and send them out to the side. sometimes I'll use the bottom bouncers to get my shallow running cranks down to the bottom fish.

OK, Im done rambling on ;)

Landshark

Landshark – keep rambling … it’s a symptom I’m dealing with also. I think it’s caused by the extended sunlight but not the extended open water yet!! I got so desperate I went out to a stream in Waterville today trout fishing (aka bait fishing)!! Like I said most of my fishing on Oneida is really jigging – drifting. But I plan to troll more this spring just to get a better handle on the whole trolling thing especially for when I can get up on Lake O.

Johnnywalleye – you would be welcome anytime .. let me know when your in the area or think you will be. My work schedule is pretty crazy as i travel a lot throuhg out NY and Pa. But just send me a PM and we can see if we can hook up. I know the hole your talking a bout off Larken Point. I’ve done some jigging in and around it.

good luck guys .. and lets hope for a good spring!!

IMG_0476-1.jpg