Cleaning fish before returning to port?

What are the rules, if any, on doing this? I have heard that the fish must be identifiable, to confirm you're not over your limit or out of a size slot. But seems like a lot of folks still clean them on the water.

Further, what if you're sleeping on the boat, so you have yesterday's limit catch cleaned and on ice, on board?

I hope that a Fish Commission officer would have discretion---wondered if anyone had any experiences with this?

Almost everyone cleans fish on the water at the Oak. Leave the skin on steelhead, Atlantics and lake trout and you should not have an issue. You are allowed two days limits as a "possession" limit but to avoid potential hassle leave yesterday's fish on shore packed in ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

not sure where you fish,but if its in the pulaski area,just bring them to juniors,its not worth cleaning them yourself,he charges 2 or 3 bucks a fish.bring them in a cooler,leave with fillets!!!dont even get your hands dirty.

My understanding on the law is that anything with a length restriction, i.e. steelhead, rainbows, atlantics, and lake trout can be gutted but not fileted, so that they can be measured.  Browns and pacific salmon can be fileted but you need to leave a piece of skin on them.  Supposed to be 500 feet offshore minimum.

My understanding on the law is that anything with a length restriction, i.e. steelhead, rainbows, atlantics, and lake trout can be gutted but not fileted, so that they can be measured. Browns and pacific salmon can be fileted but you need to leave a piece of skin on them. Supposed to be 500 feet offshore minimum.

I'm pretty sure the minimum distance is 150 feet--May even be shorter than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app