Looking for your input

I need some ideas and I'm hoping for your help.

I have the chance to pick a new career and I want to find something that involves the activities I really enjoy. I'm hoping that some of you would be willing to PM me with ideas, careers and actual openings that you know of. There's a lot of knowledge out there and I'm hoping one of you will know of something that I don't.

A little background: I love shooting (both rifle and handgun), hunting (rifle, shotgun and bow), fishing (stream & trolling) and photography but I've never made a living at any of them. Instead, I spent 26 years at the local telephone company in Rochester... then had my job "eliminated" in one of their recent rounds of semi-annual downsizing. I went back to school, completed MCC's Precision Machining certificate program in October and was hired by Brinkman Precision to train as a CNC lathe operator. Well - they just let me go... but at least it was after their cost-cutting got rid of the paper towels! 

I can go back to the same telecom work I was doing before - I have a great work record, resume, letters of references, etc,,, but this is a rare opportunity to do something I actually enjoy.

I'd appreciate any help you can provide. Please PM me through LOU and let me know your thoughts.

Thank you,

Mortigan (Bob Murray)

Bump.

Anybody out there in a profession (charter captain is obvious, sorry) that involves firearms (or hunting), tackle (or fishing) or photography? Brainstorming ideas... please PM me.

Edited by Mortigan

Mortigan,

Interesting question you have there. But, don't you think the answer is different for each person?

I mean I might love having a particular job that you would hate.

I would start by asking yourself what things in life make you happy - I'm not talking about a job,

but things like - being my own boss, helping people, designing stuff, building stuff, etc.

With these answers in front of you, the next question is what job can provide those circumstances for me.

Best regards.

Sorry, Mark, didn't realize that was unclear - I probably gave too much information.

I know what makes me happy: "I love shooting (both rifle and handgun), hunting (rifle, shotgun and bow), fishing (stream & trolling) and photography". I was looking for ideas on jobs in the Rochester area that might involve those interests. I can go back to piloting a desk but would rather not if I can avoid it.

I know there is a huge shortage of gunsmiths out west of Rochester. May have to work under someone for a while but the good guys retired and moved south.

Thanks, Vince. That's really something that interests me - it's one of the reasons I jumped at the chance to train as a machinist, even though there's not much of a firearms industry here. I'd apprentice with a good gunsmith in a second but there's a serious shortage of them here too. I don't know of any opportunities but I can do some digging.

I have a friend who loves photography. He is very good with cameras of all types...lenses..lighting. ..editing..etc.

It is a field that can encompass your love of the outdoors and indoors...shooting events..fishing events. .nature..weddings..etc.

It could be done free lance with proper equipment and a well exposed Web site for display to editors of magazines and other publications...possibly like the Conservationist or others in NY outdoor intrests.

Your own time and direction. Meanwhile when you go to shoot these events, you learn from folks there participating in say, a firearms competition event about gunsmithing and a feeler for entry into a machinists opportunity there and eventual second business that could keep you warm inside for winter in Rochester.

Example of my friend; likes action photos, goes to nearby woodsman competition events, finds a niche he likes there, and now he does tree surgeon work...maybe not for you, nor me, but you get my idea I'm sure.

He looks up stuff going on. Maybe an air show, rodeo, races, etc. Goes there, snaps pictures, loads them on his site for display and downloads from prospects looking for that perfect shot.

Weddings are boring he says..unless ya get a biker wedding...you can guess how that might have went..lol!

Anyway it could work with some connections and forward vision...maybe...building a base and getting known for what you do is key in a sole business!

Mark

PS....don't own a big truck...37 years I can vouche. .It's not really a business of your own anymore. Thanks to the latest Fed's in office.

cent frum my notso smart fone

Lol - I've been warned about trucking. Your friend is right about weddings; I shot a few back in the day and no fun biker ones, unfortunately. He has the right idea, and I've had some thoughts in that area. Wouldn't pay the bills but might make a good side business.

Thanks, Mark