Mounting cannon unitroll 10 stx's - with wellnuts?

I just bought 2 Cannon unitroll 10 stx's and the mounting instructions from Cannon say to use wellnuts if the underside is not accessible.  Has anyone used this way to mount?  I really don't want to trust $1000+ in gear to little pieces of rubber.   

My other option would be to cut a hole on the side of the gunwale and install a round hatch to have access to the underside.  I really didn't want to start cutting 5" holes, but a little peace of mind could be worth it.  A plate of aluminum or some fender washers have a bit more holding power than a wellnut. 

Any experience in this area from anyone? 

Thanks!

Cody :yes:

Option #2 definitely!

Why would Cannon even give the option for wellnuts?  It seems like they could be liable for failure.  The rigger bases take a lot of torque from proper use, let alone if you snag bottom. 

I had an "Aha!" moment talking to someone yesterday about this.  The boat in question doesn't have a radio in it (it needs tunes!) so I was going to install 6.5" marine speakers.  I can just run the speaker wires, cut the holes to fit the speakers and use that as the access to the underside for mounting the DR's.  It is simple to remove a speaker if I ever need to get under there again.