Seneca 6/12

Well, at minimum, my boat didn't sink and ran like a champ.

We launched out of Clute around 730. Set up on the west side heading south. We had tons of marks and huge bait schools, but no takers. Fish were around 30 feet in anywhere from 60-120FOW. Made it back to the canal and headed up the east side. Again, tons of marks and bait, but no fish in the boat.

We ran leadcores, riggers, flatlines and dipseys and tried every color and size under the sun. We were the only boat out in the bottom part as far as I could see, which should have tipped us off. We finally gave up at 1245. A friendly guy from the RV park talked to us as we were packing the boat up and said no one was really getting much. I have a hunch he was trying to make us feel better. :P

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Cody, historically June is a "transition" month for most of the Fingers in terms of trout and salmon fishing and usually lake Ontario as well.  By transition I mean that the water temperature is increasing and will be setting up a thermocline as the month rolls on. This means that bait is still readily available in the shallows in many areas, but dispersed and the fish are distributed all over the lakes....so fishing for them is pretty much "hit and miss". A lot of time folks don't realize this and think that they are doing something wrong or fishing in the wrong spots and it isn't necessarily true. In a few weeks the lakes will stratify with distinct layering and a defined thermocline layer (often 40-70 ft down from the surface) and fishing will be more predictable and generally improve in most places.  The bait will move out of the shallows and regroup out deeper and the fish will follow them. Don't get discouraged...it sounds as though you were running the right stuff and in areas that should turn on soon. keep at it :)

You could definitely tell the lake isn't i to it's summer norm yet. We would get nothing on the screen for half a mile, then bait and marks for 10 minutes, then back to nothing. The wind did catch us off guard once and we hot scooted into 30 fow, but we did find fish and bait there too.

I'll be on Owasco for the South Shore Marina derby next. Maybe by some miracle that lake will be setup then and a few fish will make it in the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Good try. Get them next time. We had to work super hard for fish. We honestly caught fish in one spot. Not more then hundred or so feet within each pass. Had to work them like I said the thermos are slowly setting up like said before. It will be game on soon!!!!

See you out there!

Nick

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app