I've been in the Sport now fishing Lake Ontario for 3 years now and for the life of me I can't get spoons to trigger for me, I've tried everything. All different types of spoons/colors, I use leaders, flouro leaders, i've tried light line 12lb all spooled on my reel.  I can get F/F combo's, I started expermimenting with Twinkies Rigs and Meat Rigs last year and was able to get those to fire, and even got J-Plugs to go.

I dont know what I'm doing wrong, any help would be appriecated.

With spoons speed can be a huge factor. Its about getting the right speed to get them to perform right and some work better in high speeds than others. Earlier in the year in my experience seems to be more of a spoon bite where as the year goes on it turns into a flasher fly bite. As far as spoon choices Northern Kings, Finger Lakes Tackle, Dreamweaver, and Stinger tend to be the most popular. A good down speed/temperature unit really helps in dialing in the correct speed. I've had variences where im doing 2.2 surface/GPS speed and at the ball im over 3 mph which is high enough for some spoons to just roll rather than wobble. Thats really all I got. There's some good fisherman on this site and If they have anything else I'm sure they'll chime in.   

try experimenting with lead lengths from the ball....speed is a definite factor. Longer the leads, slower the bait runs. Also the type of spoon makes a difference. A spoon like an Nk or a DW will run great at higher speeds....Stingers , suttons, or lighter spoons can have great action at slower speeds. Much like fly fishing, I try to match the hatch....in the spring the bait (gobies, alewife..ect) tends to be a little smaller so I run relative size spoons. In the summer and fall the bait tends to be bigger.....so out come the magnums. 

This is just what works for me. I'm sure there are lots of guys with different theories and techniques. Take as much advice as you can and develop a program that works for you....tight lines

Rippin'Line and Missdemeanor did a great job of hitting on the main concerns and problems (ie. too much lure action, no the right action or not enough) and monitoring SPEED. Another factor is know your lures. Experiment to see exactly how your lures run and whether they might need to be tuned (as in flutter spoons). Sometime even slight bends in the spoon can make all the difference in the world. Notice how the spoon responds as you let out line...is it doing what you want? Sometimes I decide to use a different one and take if off if it doesn't look the way I want it to (back and forth motion in rhythm). There are times when you may actually want to use spoons that "roll" at higher speed (especially smaller flutter spoons at higher speed for rainbows and Atlantics). Varying your speed is important...don't just troll along at the same speed... throw it in idle once in a while then speed up, gradually speed up and then back down....do "s" turns while changing speeds. I constantly play with boat speed untiI connect with a particular setup (s) (good way to stay in shape too :)) . The specific speed recommendations are fine as GENERAL indicators but they are not gospel....don't be afraid to run faster or slower than those (e.g. 3.2 vs. 2.3)...every boat and equipment setup is different as are things like current specific lures etc....many things to think about and monitor but attention to detail often separates a good day from a skunk. AND...sometimes they don't want spoons!

Edited by Sk8man

Here's a short and simple fix: get some nbk stingrays and run around at around 2.2-2.8mph. You'll get some spoon bites.

^^^^this^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

How big are your swivels?  If they are too large and heavy they can impede the action of your spoons.  Try the smallest swivel you feel comfortable with and see if that changes your luck.  Also, I don't like the swivels that come to a sharp angle where the spoon will run, try the rounded coast lock style.  Hope this helps.

All spoons don't run at the same speed !   You can't mix suttons and NK's in your spread for instance, because they won't work together.  Suttons and thin flutter spoons run best slow. where the heavier spoons need more speed to make them dance.  Check them along side of the boat before you send them down on the rigger or dipsie.  All of the other suggestions that the guys have given your are spot on.   Some spoons are more speed forgiving than others.