Upgraded dipsy rods

So I bit the bullet and updated my three remaining dipsy rods to Shimano talora rods. The question I have is are the Eagle claw rods I replaced them with worth selling? A new Eagle claw rod is around $40. All but one of the eagle claws were purchased last yr (when I decided to run four wire rods). I bought them at Woody's and had problems with the real seats breaking free and spinning around. After returning two rods in as many days Woody suggested drilling the bottom of the reel seat and filling it with a 2 part epoxy which is what we did at his shop. Never had a problem after that. Lastly one or two may have had the tip shortened....Yup I fish with one of those guys, lol. I also have a 10' Ugly stick dipsy rod that is very stiff. I figure most wouldn't want to fish with it, at least that is kind of how I feel about it until I get a big king boat side and need to control him. The lighter action rods have no control. The ugly stick rod was around $50 new.

Granted I only use them a trip a yr to lake O but they do see there fair share of action on those trips.

Should I just hold onto them as back ups or sell? What would be a fair price? All are outfitted with twilly tips.

I'm leaning towards just keeping them for back ups.

Thanks for your opinion,

Spike

leadcore rods

OK this may sound stupid, keep in mind I only use these wire rods in NY so if I convert them to core rods can I leave the twilly tip on or should it be removed and the original tips put back on? I have no idea if the twilly tip would hurt the core and or leader or not? Not enough experience with twilly tips.

Thanks,

Spike

No question on here should be considered "stupid"  Spike. We 're all here to learn and figure stuff out. Although I primarily use roller tips for wire rigs and Seth Greens I have used the twillis in the past and I think you would be safe either way. The core shouldn't hang up on the end of the twilli wire if that is what you're thinking... my own preference would be to go with regular tips for core just because of personal preference and I think the tip eye may be a bit smoother on the sheath of the core.

Edited by Sk8man

A few years ago I updated several eagle claw dipsey rods and sold them for 20 to 25 bucks a piece with the twili tip. Had same issue with reel seat. We're an ok rod for what I paid for them.

Sk8man I was thinking the same with the sheath, which is why I asked. Was hoping to hear if anyone else had used core already with twilly tips. It looks like if I'm going to use them for core rods I'll need to find the tips.........which so far remain somewhere hidden amongst everything I have aquired over the years. I was never a big fan of the eagle claw tip tops anyway so if I can't find them I could always put new ones on.

Then again selling them for $25 a piece wouldn't be a bad choice either and may save me some "rework" of the rods.

I am going thru my gear today and I have the two original Daiwa heartland dipsey rods I started with. They are really just heavy action downrigger rods. Both have been "shortened". One by quite a bit, the other by just a little. I should probably strip the guides off them and trash the blanks. I don't see myself ever restoring these to working order. I didn't pay much for them so not a huge loss. Still have the four original med action rigger rods which I still use. Some years I go out there with the Daiwas, other years I use lighter ugly sticks. Depends on who I'm going with which rods I bring. Experienced people can control the fish boats side with either rod but rookies really do better with the medium action rods.

Anyway I'm getting away from the topic.

Thanks for the replies. Less than a month to go!

Spike