Help needed

reddog_2711

I removed the lower gear case to replace the waterpump in my 140 HP I/O Mercruiser, and can't get it back on. Everything is right, it's in forward, the splines are all engaging, but it seems to stop about 5/8" short from being flush, and I'm stumped.

Does anyone have any ideas or tips? I'm trying to sell the boat and need it running, and I'm to the point where I'd even be willing to pay for someone to give me a hand (if they can get it to go).

The only thing I haven't tried yet (since the battery is dead) is to trim the top half back down. it is currently trimmed up as if I was trailering it, and thats how I'm working on it. maybe it needs to be down for it to go for some reason?

help!!!!

yea i think you need to have it straight up and down to center the stuff up in there and watch that little "o" ring if that slides out during te assembly youll be doing it all overagain ....try a google search for what your asking almost every project has a site nowadays with tips and procedures

move the throttle in and out of gear a few times..... leave it in forward to get the unit back on. Grease all the linkages before you try to slide her back on. It helps if the lower unit is level so the universal does not get bound up while installing the unit.

Your probably hung up on the o-ring seal.... grease the seal and the steel hub it slides over. Should go on like butter.

sorry i thought you said wateppump replacement in the lower gear case not the whole outdrive...ill read better before i post again :roll: you just get er straight up and down and it will slide right up there lower the front of the trailer to get clearence under the outdrive and spin the prop a little to aligne splines (grease well first)

ok folks. I have to concede to defeat.

I'm VERY interested in hiring someone if they can come to my place (Irondequoit) and help me get this thing in. It's probably a 10 minute job, and I'll even do all the work, all you'd have to do is tell me what I'm doing wrong, call me a dumbass after it drops right in, collect your cash and leave, laughing at my incompitance the whole way home. haha

Seriously though.....if you can help, please drop me an email and we'll set something up as soon as possible.

Thanks

[email protected]

RD I"ll give you a call . But it has to be in forward gear at the shifter and the outdrive indexed to it when you put it on.

Thanks Hank. I've had it in forward the whole time, I learned that when I researched it before I even took it off. I'm not sure what you mean by "outdrive indexed", but I have made sure that the outdrive is in forward, and that the prop is engaged fully.

When I push it up as far as it goes and gently rock it to see where it's hung up, it feels like it's the driveshaft since it seems to pivot around the center, but I could be wrong. I have confirmed that the splines are engaging by greasing them up, and then after trying it, you can see where the grease was displaced.

Shawn