more line questions

I am setting up a couple of dipsy rods (first trolling season for me) and I am not sure what to put on for line. I would like to be flea free so I figured I would put 300 yds of 30# flea flicker on these 9.5 med/heavy rods with the 27lc reels. Besides the fact that I wont get down quite as far with the ff line what are the other disadvantages to this approach. I am probably going to spend most of my time in the Finger lakes (Cayuga 1st) and I really dont feel like I want to deal with wire- I have enough other stuff to figure out.-Thanks for any advice.

FF line will work but just keep in mind it's mono and you get a LOT of stretch in it. PITA to release with a moderate amount of line out. Power Pro is good for a braided line but it will get clogged up w/fleas. I like to run PP divers before the fleas get real bad down deep and mono divers up high . When the fleas get thick wire is really the only way to go with divers.

We all were a little gunshy of wire but once you get it down you'll never look back.

Good luck. DAN

Don't believe you will even get close to 900 feet of 30 lb on a 27.

Don't use those setups on the Big lake for Salmon. First good fish will spool you. Should do OK on the Finger Lakes loaded to the Rim with 30.

Good luck.

Glen

I am not sure I understand all the implications of the stretch factor with mono.Will I get poor hooksets and diver action or what? I see the problem with spool capacity- I dont think I can get much over 180 yds of 30" ff on the reel - is this enough for the Finger lakes? Whats are the main things to be prepared for if I tried wire?

Chowder, the stretch issue is mainly regarding the ability to trip from the boat. Once you get out much past 140-150 feet, there is so much stretch in the mono absorbing the line it acts like a big rubber band and it can be difficult tripping the diver, so you end up fighting in the untripped diver, at least until you get it in close enough that it'll finally release. Mono divers work fine as far as catching fish is concerned.

Tim

If you want to run dipsys, wire is the only way to go. you can use power pro or similar until the fleas show up. I live on Cayuga and fish it all the time. Mono dipsys are a waste of time, money and lost fish unless you have it very shallow.

Wire is easy to run. Search this forum for the correct knots and set up. Its all here.

There are times when I have out 300 ft of wire on Cayuga. (that gets you down about 100 ft.) you need the larger reels to accomodate the 1000 ft of wire. Then you don't have to use backing.

You also need very sturdy rod holders.

RR

Chowder - 180 yards on the reel is fine as long as you are fishing the fingerlakes. Be careful of your knots with the FF line, I gave up using FF as I found a tendency for the knots to slip. Same knots in standard #30 mono hold up much better.

DAN